16 February 2014

Pupa : Squirm

Episode 4

The more I watch the more angry I become at the silly running time. The first few lines of these blogs should be telling you about the episode before but for the first time a anime short is really starting to bother me.

Why, I ask, why?!

***SPOILERS***

It was slightly better this time out.

I can't say I even want to understand episode 3 but episode 4 gave us some answers. So Yume is back in human form and even Utsutsu isn't dead. They've been infected with a virus called (amazingly) Pupa which gives them regenerative abilities but makes them hungry for human flesh.

It is nice to know what is going on, and like the first episode (and the second to be fair on it) it was straight forward and made sense. It didn't ask you to make a jump of logic and understand a random piece of crap, it gave you a thread to follow and you did.

In a way I think it'll be a anime that in the end you might be happy you gave it a go and watched till the end, I'm hoping for a big pay off even with only a limited time scale. I'm not holding my breath though.

When it isn't going off on a tangent like last episode it actually tells a pretty chilling story. A story that would work so much better WITHOUT the stupid jumps of logic.

The problem is that there isn't really much to say about this episode. It left me cold because even though it was a better episode it still just... Was there. It told us a cold hard fact and nothing more really.

What am I meant to say? It stopped me being angry for a few minutes? Well good on it right?

The best character in the whole thing is the creepy women, I feel for Yume and Utsutsu but they aren't really doing much. Yume spends most of the time in tears and they both seem to be fighting the reminder of their father in their heads. At least the mystery women is just cold and calculating.

It still has potential I'll give it that. But right now I might be too angry to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment