13 February 2014

Pupa : I wish it was all a dream

Episode 1

A psychological horror about a boy and his sister, when his sister turns into a creature that eats humans he struggles to restore her to the way she is.

I mean that beats the synopsis of half a dozen psychological films in the cinema!

It is only a short anime series so whatever the quality of it, it should be easy to keep up with.

***SPOILERS***

I am so disappointed that this is only 5 minutes long, not even that!

It is probably one of the most amazing things I've seen but it only just starts and its over, it kind of rushes a little which might be in its favour, but by the time its over you are really wanting more.

You don't have any real connection to either Utsutsu or Yume, so Yume transforming into a big purple monster doesn't really shock you. She gets told on her way to the park to go home before she see's the red butterflies and yet she goes to the park and sees the red butterflies and doesn't seem to be phased by it AT ALL.

A little odd but given the amount of time they had there was no real point in thinking about it.

Her state of mind after being possessed and turned into the monster is actually interesting. Her standing there in pitch black holding a demonic looking teddy bear. It is subtly creepy in its way. The teddy bear is actually quite scary itself! Looks like something right out of Malifaux. In fact when I get the teddy bears for the Dreamer I will be painting them up to look like that!

But the way the whole thing looks is just creepy. The atmosphere in a 5 minute short can't come from characters because there isn't enough time, so they've done the smart thing and used the backgrounds. From the moment it started it LOOKED like weird shit was going to happen. And it did!

I'd be interested in knowing why Utsutsu looks so weird. He has some sort of scar over his eye and then markings all down his arm. I wonder what that is about.

And I wonder if we'll see Mrs Scary Pants Fortune Teller Women again. Great name I know. Proud of it!

Depending on how this plays out it could actually be very atmospheric and dark, it really is pretty hard to creep me out so the psychological aspect of it works for me. If they went more for here is a little girl, look she's turned into a monster and eating people angle it wouldn't have worked for me. The this is the little girl, something has happened to her but inside she's still the little girl... Woooo how are they going to sort this out angle, whilst not being unique or original, works better as a short. I don't have to care about Utsutsu or Yume. I can just go along with the story.

Really wish this wasn't a short!

No comments:

Post a Comment