7 February 2014

Noragami : A Housecat, a Stray God, and a Tail

Episode 1

I have to say that this series actually sounds superb too! I honestly can't believe how much I've been saying this lately but really it does.

A bit like Yozakura Quartet in that we are at the boundary between realms and it seems that at this boundary we have Gods and a load of spirits meddling with humans. One human then encounters a God called Crude who doesn't answer people's prayers but he can "cut" all who pass between this world and the next

Whatever that means I don't care because I'm really looking forward to watching and finding out!

***SPOILERS***

The show starts off very interesting indeed. We meet the Yato God who is more like a stray start up then anything else. We get a first minute battle with him and his sacred treasure just for her to quite on him after the fight.

Later on and he gets a girl called Hiyori killed but brings her back to life. Turns out that he might not actually be able to be seen. Also there seems to be something special about her now as she can hear voices.

The characters are actually really cool. Yato is pretty larger than life but hilarious. There is a good story in him, you can see that from the start. He's quite a normal kind of person really even if he is a God. Hiyori is pretty amazing herself to be honest, I feel for her that she's become a Phantom but at the same time it will be nice seeing her starting to live with "losing" her body.

Her reaction to finding out that the giant frog thing was a Phantom like her was great!

I have to admit that from the preview I read and the first episode I don't really get where it mashes up together to be honest. I mean I like the episode don't get me wrong but it doesn't actually come together like you'd imagine when reading the preview, so ignore the preview because its still as great just in a different way.

To be honest I'm not sure what was great about the first episode, that sounds terrible but I can't help but say its fair. It didn't really introduce the characters any more then they would have been introduced if there was a plot going on behind the scenes. It was nice meeting Yato and Hiyori but it all kind of happened in a rush. You have no real feel for the characters or what they want but you got a lot of information pushed through so that maybe the series can now just focus on what it wants to do. We know about the Phantoms and the Near Shore and Far Shore, we know that Hiyori is somewhere in between that and when she loses her body she has a pink tail.

But if you're looking for a good decent story that was kind of missing here. It was a bit all over the place.

The thing is that it still kept my attention, I didn't wander off doing five or six different things whilst watching it. And I think that is because you can see the potential, there is a lot of interesting ideas bubbling under the surface but this episode seemed hell bent on showing you WHERE the surface is going to be to begin with. We'll get the action and all that afterwards but we now have a low down on where we are at least starting from.

It is a series full of potential and I can't wait to see where it goes. I like the thought of them going around trying to full fill wishes but I think it'll probably be more aimed at Hiyori's life.

A good first episode even if it leaves you scratching your head at what the hell just happened!

No comments:

Post a Comment