17 December 2013

Outbreak Company : Awakening in the Other Realm

Episode 1

From what I can tell from previews of this one a guy is transported into a fantasy world and becomes a missionary to bring monsters and fantastical people together instead of fighting each other.

If that is true I think I'll be in love within minutes!

***SPOILERS***
We meet our main character. His name is Kano, he is a Otaku. Online he finds the perfect job for himself, and answers a test perfectly. We see him next at a job interview, we learn that he was a shut in at one point but now lives on his own. Whilst drinking he slowly falls to sleep. We get a flashback and see him asking out a girl to only have her say no because he's a otaku.

He wakes up (after an unimpressive title sequence to be honest) to find a maid waiting over him. The maid is called Misuel (Myucel?) after trying to talk to her and realising he doesn't understand her she gives him a ring that translates for them. He then meets Minori Koganuma, his guard and a member of the JSDF. They in turn reintroduce him to the guy he had the interview with, Jinzaburo Matoba, who explains what really is going on.

Workers found a hole in Mt Fuji that lead to a dimensional passageway to this world (Eldant Empire), the government and the Empire talked things out and decided to live in peace and Kano's new job is to be a go between and to sell anime, manga and video games to them.

Baring in mind this is like Lord of the Rings Middle Earth type land with dragons and mystical beasts and what not.... Just really?!

Anywho's he has no choice as he doesn't know how to get home. Next day he starts to teach Misuel how to write Japanese, by the looks of it no one really likes half elf's but not being a part of their culture Kano doesn't care one way or the other. He also meets Bluk the gardener who is like a giant lizard man.

Before long he's whisked away to meet the Supreme Ruler.... Who is only just turned 16 has an annoying voice and the looks about her of a annoying character. Ohh goody!

Other then that it was quite funny.

I'm not sure whether binging on the series will endure it to me, a week each episode might have given me a break from some of the problems I see arising from the series but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

First off it was beautifully drawn and I LOVE all the mystical beasts like the dragon! They are soo cool to look at and I can't wait to see more of Eldant.

I don't really get the point of the mission to be honest but we'll see where that one leads I guess. It could lead to a lot of interesting stories or it could just be one of those things that will grate on me.

The main character is a bit of a joke right? Man I wanted to slap him, some of the comedy about him being otaku is already grating and I don't think I can stick with it if it carries on like that. I get it he knows a lot about these things now calm the humour down a peg or two else it won't be the jokes people find humorous.

The series has a lot of potential to be great, the setting is wonderful, the story is a bit bizarre but could be a masterpiece in disguise and I guess the characters look like they could be developed into a great little gang.

I have high hopes, but I do feel the fact that I have so much to catch up on and so little time the jokes might start to annoy me faster then they would have if I was watching it from the beginning all the way through. Time will tell I guess.

I liked it. That is the most positive, through all the things that niggled at me a little there was a lot that was entertaining and there was a glimmer of love in the character of Kano (it was spelt Kanou in the translation but Kano on wikipedia so not sure which one to go with just yet!) but if it becomes too much a joke at the expense of him I don't think I'll watch it. At the moment its finding its feet I guess and I like the concept, too often it has to be something weird going on, just being linked by a passage to this realm is actually quite a fun way to do it.

Please don't let the Supreme Ruler annoy me too much.... Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment