3 November 2013

Need a new laptop....

So the most bizarre accident is going to lead me to needing a new laptop.

I've had this one for a number of years now and love it to pieces. It has crumbs under the key that sometimes I need to smush down with frantic button smashing, one of the first things to happen to it was my niece ripping off a button which from time to time falls off but I replace it pretty easily, its slow and hates being charged (the battery is now pretty much dead so have to keep it plugged in but that can be a chore as if the lead isn't touching the pin in JUST THE RIGHT WAY it won't charge!)

But it is my baby and I love it...

Yesterday my bloody iPhone fell out of my pocket when I was picking the laptop up to move out of my mums room and back into mine and fell on the enter key, leaving a nasty mark and making it fall off.

Unlike the other key I can kind of replace when it falls off (it is a bit stiff but I don't use that key anyway) this one just won't stay on. I can get it back into place but pressing it a few times makes it fall right back off again.

Why is this so terrible?

I have no answer to that other then its my baby. I have a mild OCD and couldn't NOT have a button there but this isn't the only problem. Some of the buttons have started to stick, notably the n and b button, as I said above the charger is a pain and if it isn't charging and I don't notice within 5 minutes it is turning itself off and it goes so slow at times.... In other words this is kind of the final nail in the coffin for my poor lovable companion.

What makes it worse is that obviously laptops are expensive... I have saved so much money this year, all my overtime has gone straight into my savings. I could right now have about £1,300 in savings. COULD have... Unfortunately bills being higher then they should have been and a number of other things have meant I've had to dip in and LAST month was the worst! I went from having £977 to £600 in a week! My mums phone bill was too high and she didn't put the extra money in to my bank account, I miscalculated by £3 but ended up paying about £50 or so more back in because of other things. That on top of my bill being unusually high for my phone (had to phone a 0844 number) and going from having no overtime to lots of overtime my money just seeped out.

So now I have £700 (boosted with my overtime from this month) with Christmas around the corner and me never going to get the kind of overtime my old manager used to give me (for various reasons.) All my hard work looks like it'll go to waste. This is about the time of year I'll be using my laptop the most so if I can't find a way to get the enter button to stay put I'm going to have to dip in. About £400 for that will take me to £300 saved which seeing this is all my overtime since February kind of is depressing.

I think that is mainly down to the fact I'm not used to having money anyway so looking at my savings I was so proud to save that amount, to be honest £300 with a little more on its way is enough for what I wanted the money for (holiday, well weekend away) and I do have a tendency of looking at it and thinking "nah I'll just leave it there till I find something I REALLY want" but in my life my laptop is the same (right now) as a cooker or washing machine is to real adults. I need it and unfortunately I'll have to dip into the old savings.

Please let there be a Christmas miracle coming my way and I get a new job or even just a second or Christmas job. I'm starting to feel like I'll never have money again!

No comments:

Post a Comment