3 October 2013

Kyoukai no Kanata : Carmine

Episode One

At some point I will need to have a look at some of the previews for a season as it must be boring for you lot to be told I have no idea what something is about.

Well I don't about this one either, quick reading tells me that it is a dark fantasy which could be right up my street!

***SPOILERS***

We start with someone defining what suicide is.

What a strange way to start a season off!

So the narrator of the suicide monologue is a guy, seems to be the main character, he see's a girl that looks like she's about to jump off the building (hence the suicide talk) and fully aware of the two paths he has and that he's usually the type to walk away he runs to save her....

And ends up stabbed through the chest by her.

See monologing does kill! FACT!

Alright maybe he isn't dead, the girl is called Mirai Kuriyama.

Interest levels at 100%

So the boy seems to be called Akihito and he's fine (and also in the literary club and lecturing another girl about a story.)

So he's immortal and she's trying to kill him. Turns out he's half youmu (what is that?) and she is a spirit of some sort.... And pretty clumsy. Turns out she manipulates her blood to become a sword, she's the last of her clan. Are we in the spirit world or the human world?

It turns out that she was attacking him a lot because she's never defeated a youmu even though she's a Spirit World Warrior so she was using him as practice because he was immortal.

Once again his friend Mitsuki tells him that her family is keeping an eye on Kuriyama and to stop interacting with her but once again he ignores her.

I think I've gotten it. So we're in the spirit world, the main character Akihito is half youmu and youmu seem to be some sort of bad spirit/demon thing that the Spirit World Warriors fight. The girl Kuriyama is a Spirit World Warrior and is meant to be fighting the youmu but she hates her families curse of being able to manipulate her blood, no one else in the spirit world likes her clan and they are all dead now other than her anyway. She's never killed a youmu so got the courage to attack Akihito just to find out that being half youmu he's actually immortal.

Meanwhile Akihito's friend Mitsuki seems to be in a pretty influential family and is warning Akihito away from Kuriyama.

Phew! Thankfully I got that all.

Actually I quite enjoyed it. A lot was happening but it was all good fun and at least I did keep up even if I had to sit there and think for a moment.

So first impressions?

I loved the style of it, the music is very Danny Elfman-ish or Harry Potter-ish, just the kind of music I love! It adds a lot to the darker moments or the longer explanations. It is a very pretty, if somewhat faded look as well.

I loved the characters though and I think that was the strength. The story was kind of meh-ish but the characters held it. I loved the relationship between Akihito, Mitsuki and Kuriyama. The randomness of Mitsuki had me laughing (and reminded me of Natsuno from Dog and Scissors), Akihito was pretty much logically getting through everything and the only normal one (much like William in Makai Ouiji) and Kuriyama was sweet! I really enjoyed her character, she was clumsy and lonely to be honest (much like Tomoko from WataMote) and disliked because of something she had no control over.

I believe even if the story stays kind of bland the characters will make me love the show.

Why do I keep saying the story was bland?

It was a information dump of the worst kind to be honest.

I didn't dislike it but there was just too much talking muddled into action scenes and not enough structure. The story seems interesting but we didn't have enough background on where we were and who the characters were to jump headlong into the story of Kuriyama the way we did.

This isn't a negative though because obviously it'll all be expanded on later in the series, I'm just saying for the first episode we could have done with a little more structure.

That can be forgiven though as the episode was fab!

No comments:

Post a Comment