6 September 2013

Daniel Ricciardo to Red Bull.... Thoughts?

So I'm a little late on this post due to personal reasons but thought I'd share my thoughts on Ricciardo replacing Webber at Red Bull.

First off I agree it is BRILLIANT news for Daniel! I am really chuffed for him, the team will be a great place to show his worth in one of the best cars.

The questions I have are basically this...

Will he get a car to match his skill?
Will he get the chance to show any skill?
Have they chosen a driver purely to be the doormat of Vettel?

I don't mean that in a negative way against Vettel, it happens with all big teams.

At the beginning of the season you aim for the constructors championship and ONE DRIVER to win the drivers championship. Now you can be fair to a point and I believe sometimes all the teams DO do that. If Webber or Massa beat Alonso and Vettel constantly up until the half way point I do think they'd be supported. Personally for Massa the only real team order I've seen with him was when he was pretty much (bar like 1 or 2 points) out of the championship and didn't look like he was going to recover other than in that one race. Webber there is more of a grey area I agree.

Thing is Vettel is their golden boy and we know from McLaren 07 that keeping your "big" name happy is important else you'll all lose out and be in the middle of quite a childish feud between your drivers.

Do I believe Webber or Ricciardo are below Vettel?

They might not be as talented naturally but both are great drivers, I love Webber and think he's been unfortunate a lot of his career but I won't deny that Vettel is naturally much more talented. In fact Vettel, Alonso, Raikkonen and Hamilton (along with Kubica *sigh*) are probably THE most talented drivers naturally in our sport (or who should be here but isn't.... Sadly) at the moment.

Thing is they all have strengths and weaknesses as drivers and obviously the Webbers, Buttons and Perezs of the world have their strengths and on their day can beat the others as easy as they like.

Do we really believe Ricciardo is going to be challenging, or even allowed to really challenge?

Well for point B possibly, I won't judge Red Bull on their current relationship with Webber.

Point A I'm fully prepared to admit that Daniel might have to work a little harder than Vettel to win but I think he could.

So I might be happy, VERY happy for Daniel but for the people telling others this is the best move for him and we as his fans should be grateful......

I'll rather wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment