20 August 2013

WataMote : Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Enjoy My Summer Break

Episode 7

Tomoko actually got to watch the "fireworks" with someone. Go Tomoko! But now we have the scary prospect of the holidays!

***SPOILERS***

Day 1 of summer break, playing video games. On the internet. Watching films. Reading magazines. Staying up late and not sleeping.

Day 2. Playing video games. Dating sims. Watching films.

Day 3. Playing video games. Listening to radio shows. Watching anime. Reading manga.

Day 4. Reading manga. Searching things on the internet.

Day 5. Lying on the floor doing nothing and listening to her brother and his friends planning what to do together whilst playing video games.

Day 6. Playing video games. Online browsing. Reading manga. Staying up late worrying about not doing anything.

Day 7. Decides to make her summer break worthwhile and goes online searching how to make summer holidays fun. Ends up playing games and watching YouTube videos. Wasting the whole morning. Buying stuff online. Decides to make a YouTube video. Has nightmares about it.... Gives up.

Day 8. Reads manga. Web cam is in its box. See's an add for a meet and greet recording thing for the day after. The guy will record one line as requested. Searches online for what to ask voice actors. Reads a load of horror stories and urban myths related to meeting people. Terrifies herself. Wakes brother up to take her to the bathroom (I do not kid!)

Day 9. Goes to the Meet and Greet. She just wants him to say "I love you Tomoko" the girl in front asks him to say "I'm going to make a mess out of you".... What a weird thing to have him say?! So Tomoko changes her mind and ends up with "You sow, you stink! Not really! Just kidding! Your hair smells great, Tomoko! And it's so smooth! I love you!"

Day 10. She sits there listening to it over and over again. She ends up messing about with her video game to add his voice and her voice. Downstairs and their mother is watching home videos of Tomoko and Tomoki when they were kids. Including Tomoki saying he'll marry Tomoko when they grow up. Tomoko's mum walks in on her playing her sound file back.... It just keeps going and going and going.... She's plugged her headphones into the microphone hole so yes her mum hears everything. Later that night she bribes Tomoki to watch her light fireworks out of his window, why couldn't he just agree to do it with her?!

Wow now I sound like Tomoko's diary!

This is pretty much every summer break I ever had, that and obviously getting homework done as fast as possible then losing it and having to find it before I go back. I'm guessing we'll have another episode with the end of her summer break but, yeah... Typical for a loner really.

The episode was a lot lighter than usual, there is usually something a littler darker about the episodes but this one just seemed light hearted. I enjoyed that for once Tomoko wasn't plotting and getting disappointed by her failures but just, getting on with it. I to sat at home doing nothing at all and cried myself to sleep wishing someone would come and knock on my door to take me out. Never happened, never mind.

The one thing I have to say I loved about this episode was the last day.

I kind of guessed that Tomoki was not always that cold to Tomoko, I had two sisters and how we acted together when we were kids and teenagers was completely different. It was nice to see that at one point the tables where kind of turned and it was Tomoki that relied and loved his big sister and Tomoko who patiently put up with him.

If anything I am kind of hoping that Tomoki of all people has a bit of a change of heart nearer the end of the season and spends some time with Tomoko, after all the fact that she had to bribe him with ice cream to watch her set off sparklers was a bit sad. Just one activity even if its only for a few hours it would be nice.

I'm not sure I like how her mother seems to ignore the fact that one of her kids are so active and the other a loner, again it happened to me. My parents took it for granted that I enjoyed myself just because my sisters had friends and went out and played. I didn't, I sat at home on my own and yeah I enjoyed myself sometimes but a little encouragement or just my mum doing something with me one day would have been nice.

I've seen reviews online that moan about this anime saying that the main character is unlikable. She isn't. She's a normal kid, this is what a vast majority of kids feel and act like. As I said last week when she's calling people's sluts in her mind yes it doesn't put her in a good a light but at the end of the day it is obvious she is saying it because it makes her feel better and you are lying if you say that you never thought that before. No one is perfect in life and when your ignored and left to yourself, hardly ever have to use your voice and end up like a ghost for no fault of your own there has to be something wrong with you or them. Tomoko knows that there are plenty of things wrong with her.

I find the anime very truthful and very honest about what it is like being unpopular and that is probably one of the reasons I love it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment