16 July 2013

Uchouten Kazoku : Goddess of the Noryo-Yuka

Episode One

Another one that I haven't got a clue about before it starts, hoping it carries on the very high quality of the season so far! As there are only a few question marks on which animes I will and won't be watching!

***SPOILERS***
The story is set in Kyoto "Humans, they're naught but an accompaniment to our history. We were the ones who built history, and this city."

We get introduced to a Tanuki and a Tengu. The main character is a tanuki who imitates human, and he looks like a raccoon! So before the opening credits even roll I'm happy with this. And man the opening credits, I don't know why so don't ask me but it made me think of Freaks and Geeks, it has nothing in common with a TV series about Geeks and outcasts but still!

So today the main character (who probably is male) has decided to take female form and walks like... Well a male. The animation is very basic but quite cute to be honest! Anyway he seems to have a little brother and an older brother...

The main character is very funny I have to say and even though the humour is pretty simple it works well.

The tanuki are being trained by a tengu and the master has a daughter who is no longer with them by the sound of it.

Funny I can't say I see many characters smoke in the anime's I watch so it feels weird in something like this to see someone smoking. Just a random thought! Especially a male tanuki who has transformed himself into a female.

So the master wants a "love letter" sent to someone and the main character manages to fire it on an arrow and make a friend.... She manages to empty a bar just by walking in and promises the main character that she'll find a fight for him.

Now I could not tell you what was going on, I don't know the main characters names and I really am lost when it comes to the master and the human but man is this show interesting! And so far really heartwarming and sweet.

It had me giggling through a big portion of it, it is quite nice having a character being human who isn't actually human and having no problems with doing stupid things because he hasn't got the taboo of sex or anything.

But what really is interesting so far is the relationships between the characters, it really is pretty special I have to say. There is something there that just hooks you, even if there wasn't much going on and just a lot of talking that meant nothing at this moment to anyone you just love the way the characters are.

And the animation is just so... Innocent looking. I don't know how to explain it, in its simplicity it just makes everything look so much more vibrant and alive. I said earlier the opening credits gave me a feel of "Freaks and Geeks" well the style gave me a "Bill and Ted" / "Tenth Kingdom" feel and this isn't motivated by plots, characters or anything but the way that it styled just made me think like that.

It looks like it'll be a good series and I will definitely be watching this one over anything else as there just feels like there will be such a wonderful story behind everything.

Really if any of the shows this season are going to be on your watch list try and put this one there as I think this will be a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment