6 July 2013

Star Trek into Darkness

A little late I know but I thought I'd finally write up my review of it here!

So the second Star Trek film after the successful reboot a few years ago, more adventures with the younger Kirk and Spock...

***SPOILER***

It starts with the crew trying to save a planet from the erupting volcanio. Unfortunately whilst trying to neutralize it Spock gets stuck inside so against all the rules Kirk flies the Enterprise over the primitive people of the island to go save Spock (in quite a funny scene with some wonderful Bones moments by the most wonderful of actors Mr Karl Urban. Not that I'm a giant fan of his or anything!)

After the events on the primitive planet Kirk loses command of the Enterprise and becomes First Officer, a move to no doubt teach him humility and the ability to listen, of course within not much time Pike is dead and Kirk is back in charge of the Enterprise learning nothing. Pike dies at the hands of a John Harrison who after stopping a kid from dying sends the father into the archive building to blow it up, he then attacks the meeting of Captains and First Officers.

The big twist is that John Harrison is actually a freshly awoken Khan, yes the big bad guy that is a icon of Star Trek.

So as you can guess there is death, adventures in space and even Klingons!

Was the film any good?

To be fair it was much better than I expected, I hate the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch played Khan he was so good in the role but nothing would ever live up to the icon that was Ricardo Montalbán. I'd have preferred the story to be slightly changed and we get a new exciting bad guy for Cumberbatch, as it was he did a pretty awesome job of it.

I had the same basic problems as I did with the first movie. Chris Pine is no more likable then in the first movie and Uhura was still nothing like the original brilliance of Nichelle Nichols. Karl Urban, Simon Pegg and Zachary Quinto were all superb and once again John Cho and Anton Yelchin were wonderful.

The trailers personally did nothing for this movie, whilst watching the trailers it felt like I was watching the latest trailer for a Transformers film, I was worried it would be too earth based and not enough of what makes Star Trek, well... Star Trek! Thankfully that was dispelled completely and once again we have a wonderful adventure on the Enterprise.

I did like the film and I liked it more then I liked the last movie. I felt all the cast were more comfortable and even though I could always do with more Scotty and Bones I felt that they were able to shine a lot more as the brunt of the story was about friendship and not so much about a love triangle of two unlikable characters and Spock.

They have had two of my favorite characters as the last two bad guys and I am not ashamed to say that Benedict Cumberbatch just beats Eric Bana as the better of the two, not because of the story or anything like that but he had something menacing that I didn't feel with Bana, plus they didn't kill him off so if this series goes ever on wards he can return!

There were loads of small references to the original series which I loved it made me giggle whenever I heard mention of something, but I have to say it right now I HATED the Klingon we saw. I don't know it just looked, too fancy.

The film is a decent one, probably easy to beat as the best of the year I don't think there was much special about it. It was a lovely film to look at, had a strong story and on the whole was brilliantly acted.

If there is a next one though there needs to be WAY more Bones and Scotty! In fact just make a film about those two and I'd give you every penny I ever earn (as long as it is Urban and Pegg of course!)

Very good film and better than the last. Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment