11 July 2013

DANGANRONPA - The Animation : Welcome to Despair Academy

Episode 1

Now I can't tell you anything about this but the moment I saw preview pictures of it I was intrigued! I've also shortened the whole name down because.... It was so long and I can't be bothered to type that in over and over again if I watch this through to the end!

So yet another anime to review!

***SPOILERS***

Within the first moment I love this. It is just weird and wonderful! That bear is so cool! I want one.

The main character is a boy who got chosen to come to the academy out of dumb luck. The moment he stepped over the threshold it all went weird. He's already in a classroom when he wakes up with the windows covered in steel. It is creepy and weird and I love it for it! All the rest of the students look so cool as well, for a start the main character is called Makoto Naegi. In the gym he meets :

Yasuhiro Hagakure (Super Duper High School Shaman with super cool hair!)
Hifumi Yamada (Super Duper High School Fanzine Maker.)
Kiyotaka Ishimaru (Super Duper High School Prefect, and deadly cool looking... And I mean deadly!)
Junko Snoshima (Super Duper High School Model.)
Chihiro Fujisaki (Super Duper High School Programmer.)
Celestia Ludenberck (Super Duper High School Gambler.)
Mondo Ohwada (Super Duper High School Outlaw Biker.)
Leon Kuwata (Super Duper High School Baseballer.)
Aoi Asahina (Super Duper High School Swimmer.)
Sakura Oogami (Super Duper High School Fighter... Who really looks like he's past school age!)
Touko Fukawa (Super Duper High School Bookworm.)
Byakuya Togami (Super Duper High School Scion.)
Kyoko Kirigiri (Super Duper High School ???)
Sayaka Maizono (Super Duper High School Idol.)

So we've met all the class mates! I'm sorry that I had to list them all like that but I thought it would be the best way to get their names down. WOOO I already love Hagakure and his crystal ball!

Suddenly they get a message over the loud speaker their welcome ceremony is about to start. The bear jumps up, OMG that bear is so cool! Monobear, the Principal of the school. Monobear is awesome! Apparently these people hold the hope of the world on their shoulders. I don't see it to be honest! They are stuck there for the rest of their lives! To leave they have to have killed someone. It doesn't matter how and Monobear has a lot of ways they could have done it, ohh I love Monobear!

So the whole point of putting them together is so that they kill each other to get out? And yes the opening sequence was AWESOME! Even if it was left till half way through the episode!

Oogami is trying to break through the the walls but it doesn't work. The biker is already getting ready to beat people up and knocks out Naegi, he wakes up in his room with Maizono. Maizono is quite sweet, to be honest from the brief glimpse of them all I'll like them all! She decides she'll be Naegi's assistant and help assist him leaving the school.

Ishimaru starts a meeting with them all to find out what they learnt, they have all the food to keep them fed, can only go on the first floor and there is no exit. Ludernberk points out that their investigations proved there was no way out. They all seem very dodgy. She also points out that they need to start a rule that they can't wander after night time else they'll spend all their night times wondering if someone will come in and kill them.

Monobear dashes their hopes on police rescuing them, there is no motive for them to kill apparently so he's left them a note each in the AV room. The note is their family telling them they are proud of them and want them to do what is best followed by a picture of the room their family had been sitting in ripped apart.

Ohhh so evil! Ok I do have to say I do usually like this kind of thing so that doesn't surprise me! I feel sorry for myself! I like too many of the characters and it is obvious that they are going to start killing each other! Sucks.

So.... Do you need to ask?

Wonderful characters from the start, the fact it is a survival thing like Battle Royal and Hunger Games means it was a brilliant idea to introduce the characters as they did, I mean they'll soon be killing each other off so you need to know their names and a tag line before you care who dies and who survives.

Where to start?

Loved the opening, am I right this is based on a game? If so something to do with the game? Space Journey, looks fun!

Monobear is brilliant he had me giggling the whole time and it is nice to see a psychopathic bear forcing people to kill each other, why not? But how cool is he? Just wow!

The characters all look great, I have a handful that I want to survive but as it is over half I doubt they will, especially as the two main characters will have to survive.

It is pretty dark and creepy though isn't it? I mean I was guessing it wasn't a good feels anime from what I saw picture wise but I didn't realize it was going to be quite so.... Dark. I mean they've done something to their families? Locked them up to kill each other?

Thing is I find it an interesting topic even if it has been done before so yeah...

Not sure about the main characters, Naegi and Maizono seem quite boring, personally I like Hagakure, Ishimaru, Oogami, Togami and Ludenberck. Yeah it might be down to the fact they are super cool but I don't care! I want at least some of them to win, is it right that they'll be let out after killing one person? Or do they need to kill everyone and be the last one standing? I'm unclear and thinking about it think it is the last person standing even though the subs made it seem like it will be a death and you're out.

Of course I'll be watching this one again try and stop me!

No comments:

Post a Comment