25 June 2013

Karneval :Opening (Manga)

Chapter 1

So here we are, at the beginning of a journey. Yes I know for a while I'll be commenting on a manga series that we've already talked about in anime form, but who cares?

A new journey....

Karneval the manga!

***SPOILERS***

So the manga starts off with a hello from Yogi... Possibly my favorite thing ever "good afternoon ladies of the nation. I want to take you captive with this arm like this..." I wouldn't say no to such a cutie! He gets smacked down by Tsukumo though. This is all before the main part of the story, so already in the manga you grow to love Yogi and Tsukumo.

First reaction, Nai looks so much cooler in the manga then the anime. We see him caught and taken to Lady Mine who is telling people she's a part of Circus. She's also very violent to Nai, cracking his head open when he calls her heavy (well the sound effect is crack I don't mean she actually cracks his head open) she suddenly gets jumpy when she see's the Circus ID though.

Outside and Gareki is breaking in with other people.

Nai is much more fun and lovable in the manga from the start, Lady Mine being cruel to him and taking his bracelet maybe it is just because he's drawn better and not like a weedly little girl. Did they go through all the "Karoku is my family" speech in the anime? I really can't remember! Nai's total innocence is sweet.

There is an explosion and Lady Mine leaves, when she's gone Gareki breaks through the ceiling and Nai asks if he can go with him. Gareki decides he can make some money out of this so brings Nai with him just for them (and the others that came with Gareki) to be chased by Lady Mine who has turned into some sort of monster. It does look just as cool in the manga as it did on the anime (remembering that this was the whole reason I stayed with the anime in the first place!)

"Here comes a candle to light you to bed... And here comes a chopper to chop off your head! Chip chop chip chop... The last man's dead."

She kills the other two that were with Gareki and eats their bodies, Gareki and Nai only escape after Gareki uses one of his home made bombs to blow a whole in the roof.

Elsewhere and Tsukumo is greeted by Hirato on her mission. He's floating in mid air but tells her not to worry as he's made himself invisible to the crowd, well that's all alright then Hirato! I like him quite a bit more in the manga as well to be honest...

Lady Mine is being visited by someone in black, he's not happy so he breaks her neck. Well that is Lady Mine gone.

Nai and Gareki are on the run, Gareki remembering what Mine said worries about who Circus are, I think he's got it wrong though. Nai feints from exhaustion poor little thing and Gareki decides to keep him safe.

And that is the end of chapter one!

To be frank I can't remember too much of the first anime other then the basic outline but for me I think I'd have liked the characters much more from the off if I'd read the manga. I know its hard to look at it unbiased now I know I'm in love with 100% of the characters but I just feel they were better portrayed from the off in the manga.

Nai for a start looks innocent, he doesn't just look dump, you have this feeling looking and reading what he says that there isn't something right there. He's either so backwards its unbelievable or else he's really good at playing dumb!

Gareki is pretty much exactly the same other then being a little nicer to Nai as he's putting on a show.

Again it is hard to really say without rewatching episode one again what the differences really are but for me everything was just more.... Friendly. Believable. Not so annoying as Nai was in the first episode. It seemed even though it was way shorter then the episode to be more detailed in a strange way. I guess it helps that you can have multiple thoughts and speech at the same time written on paper, you'd lose one or the other in the anime.

Nai is the only one really drawn differently, of course there are small differences but Tsukumo and Hirato look pretty much exactly like they do in the anime which I love.

Now this blog might seem pointless until after we've reached and passed the anime, but I'm still going to blog it. Probably have a few chapters each time I write about them.If you think its silly don't read it is all I can suggest.

No comments:

Post a Comment