17 June 2013

Fairy Tail : The Time of Life

Chapter 335

Well last chapter was a barrel of laughs now wasn't it? What with Ultear taking the blame for all of Jellal's wrong doing and Gray getting killed off.

How will Fairy Tail react to losing one of their strongest members?

***SPOILERS***

Well if it made you cry at the end of last weeks chapter it'll make you cry this week from page one as we see more of our favorites fall before our eyes. Macao and Droy as well as Quatro Cerberus's Bacchus.

Lyon is trying to call Cheria to help Gray whilst we see Ultear fighting with her inner demons.

It turns out that she learnt of a spell called Last Ages which gives time whilst stealing it from the caster. As we all learnt right back when Ultear always wanted to return to happier times with her mother before she was "abandoned".

As our heroes fall Ultear decides to cast the spell and the worth of her life is......

A single minute.

But within that minute given back to the world every is able to survive (yay....) and apparently we are now mounting a come back based on that minute (wahooo.....)

Now I liked and hated this chapter at the same time.

Am I alone in thinking that Grays death being the turning point of the battle (crazed Juvia/Lyon fighting back giving others strength to fight harder and find a way through the mess) more poignant then Ultears? After all Gray is a well loved character, best friends with all the main characters (well he is a main character himself!) in one of the most loved couplings (Juvia/Gray) in the manga. Ultear was a bad guy for most of the series and is trying to do good now with two other criminals in an unofficial and technically illegal guild. Yeah Ultear will have her fans and some people will be touched by her noble sacrifice but the sacrifice of Gray to Juvia was heart wrenchingly sad.

I kind of had a gut feeling Gray would be back, when suddenly other minor characters started to die in the opening pages I should have guessed we wouldn't have mass death, but I would have liked at least SOMEONE that felt important to me die. Ultear hasn't done much other then this one sacrifice to make me care and dying to save others won't make me care a jolt because she's dead now. Another plot pointed character gone, oh well.

PLUS I hate the fact that this is looking to be a counterpoint to the Dragons. How is being able to dodge one attack going to help defeat an undefeatable army? Yes I want our heroes to win but this plot point makes little sense. You know that they can defend against one attack, but when Laxus isn't able to hurt a Dragon with his breath attack how, just because he's seen one minute into the future, will he be able to hurt a Dragon with his breath attack?!

Mashima has a little bit of work to make this work for me.

SAYING THAT I do love it. At the end of the day I knew that Gray wouldn't die and I'm happy that Macao didn't die (though it would be interesting if Jet or Droy died and how the other would react, and Revy for that matter!) as well as Bacchus who I want to see more of after this arc and it was a different way of doing it. A lot of people thought it would be as stupid as a ice dummy, and I'd probably have hated Chelia being able to help him, so at least it was something I hadn't thought of, though I think I might have at one point thought she'd turn back time but decided she wouldn't.

Hey I love 90% of Fairy Tail, 5% I'm meh about and another 5% I'm cold towards, this just joins the 5% of meh. That is good going and why I write this blog (even if it is late!) you can't like everything but I adore Fairy Tail.

I don't know a lot of this arc since about Christmas time (or just after the New Year) has felt rushed so that it finishes with all lose ends tied. Things like Sting just giving up in the face of 5 badly beaten Fairy's, Lector suddenly being reborn, Millianna just getting on with life after Ultear said it was all her fault that Simon had died. It just felt...... Rushed, badly thought through...

There is still so much I've loved about the arc so don't think I'm moaning for the sake of moaning, its small things I dislike. I'm still avidly awaiting every chapter and I'm still left tingling at the end of even a meh chapter, I just wish there was something a bit darker, a bit more, I don't know about it all.

Still I wonder how this counter will work out and I'm hoping we do get to see ALL the Dragon Slayers fighting.

Plus please Mashima I have been a very good girl recently, done so much overtime and not lost my temper with any annoying customers or staff... Please, pretty please, with Tyrion Lannister on top can we find out what Lucy had bloody found out! Every week I hope we go back to her and the diary and every week I'm left hoping next week we'd find out! Please be soon?

Please don't think I'm being grumpy because I dislike the story, I'm being critical to plot points I dislike but I still love the story. I don't know why I'm defending myself in my own blog but yeah...

No comments:

Post a Comment