17 June 2013

Should fans boo rival drivers?

With podium interviews now apart of F1 it gives much more time for vocal fans to show their happiness/displeasure at race winners.

A lot of people think that booing has no place in the sport.

Me?

As a wrestling fan I don't see their problem. Yes wrestling is so much different but I'd rather have people show their displeasure by booing then by doing other things. Some of the banners and online "groups" are way more disrespectful then just booing someone. Do you expect someone who hates Vettel/Hamilton/Alonso to cheer just because we want the world to think we are the greatest fans in the world?

Well it won't work will it?

You can't force happiness out of someone and as long as it is just booing what harm is it really doing? Most of the stands in Canada looked pretty red to me and most of the time I didn't (on the TV) hear much booing just a lot of people chanting for Alonso.

Of course Vettel might not be happy to think he's being booed but then it is the same as the way the English media and a lot of English fans behaved towards Alonso back in '07 and I didn't hear a load of people come out in his defense saying that Hamilton fans should be lovely to him to his face then go off and be cruel behind his back.

I think ALL fans, all real fans will give the drivers the respect they deserve but surely booing someone they didn't want to win is A LOT better then making "hate" pages up and being totally disgusting towards those drivers online?

I respect all the F1 drivers, I don't always respect their decisions and I don't always respect the drivel that comes out of their mouths. But they are human, I am human and I won't go and pay to be at a race to be told to cheer on a rival driver just because its good etiquette.

Be happy fans are only booing it could be a lot worse trust me!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes fans are a little too sensitive. I agree it is upsetting to hear nasty things shouted at drivers but I agree that I think boo-ing and cheering are part and parcel of the same thing. You can't tell people not to boo just in case someone doesn't like it, though I guess those who dislike boo-ing would rather that you stood in silence until your driver gets their trophy now THAT would be awkward!

    ReplyDelete