9 June 2013

F1 : Canadian GP 2013

Grand Prix of Canada 2013

Winner : Sebastian Vettel
Second : Fernando Alonso
Third : Lewis Hamilton

So after a race that I didn't watch, with a result I only kind of know I'm back with my F1 blog! A little different from the others because I'm writing it from memory of watching the race LIVE ON THE BBC (only time I'll do that all year probably) instead of having it open and reviewing it whilst writing it.

So here goes my Canadian GP review!

So lets get the first bit out of the way, Sebastian ran off at the front and was never seen again. I don't have to mention him again now! (Sorry Seb fans but a friend of mine who is a Seb fan has been winding me up recently and I just can't talk about him without picturing smug looks. I'm sure one day I'll like him again.)

Pre-race and there was a nice piece with Sir Sterling Moss and Lewis Hamilton (I know Hamilton!) I loved how humbled Lewis was being there with Moss and the two very different cars.

Other than that it was business as usually, lots of news being caught up on and all that jazz.

The race wasn't too bad, for a 70 lap race it didn't send me to sleep like a lot of races can, it wasn't the most action packed race in the world either. Again I would probably have been content to watch this one in highlight form, even though the laps were a lot shorter then some races (hence 70 laps) it still felt a little too long.

The driver of the race for me has to be Massa who had a hard time at Monaco (I'll always know about Massa, my best friend is a Massa fan) and crashed in qualifying, he made up for this by making some brilliant overtakes and having quite a decent race result.

There were a few moments, Sutil span in the middle of a corner but managed to miss everyone, one of the Saubers crashed into the tyre wall, we never saw a replay of it and it didn't really impact the race, Giedo van der Garde had a few run ins with drivers including Mark Webber, he also retired the other Sauber driver as well. Other than that the action was very far and few between.

Bottas went from being somewhat of interest (especially when he defended from Kimi, that was quite brilliant) to being forgotten about. I mean really? REALLY?! This was the guy that Williams was thrusting at us screaming #BOTTAS THE NEW SUPERSTAR. He looks boring, sounds boring and hasn't done anything but one good qualifying session all year... Oh wait that sounds so much like Hulkenberg and he's still THE NEW SUPERSTAR... Williams knows how to choose them! 

Alonso slowly made his way up to 2nd, his mini-fight with Lewis was classy and really showed how wonderful those two are at this moment (I know another Hamilton compliment!) 

At the moment I do feel (or at least this race) there is something that is missing.

I don't WANT drivers to crash but I always remember the big pile ups at the start of GPs, or at least a list as long as my arm of retirements. Overtaking has always been hit and miss, lets not confuse the matter, since before I can remember everyone and their dogs/cats/pigs/donkeys/snakes have complained "there isn't enough overtaking/the overtaking is faked by this or that/too much overtaking in the pits" etc. 

It just feels like some excitement is missing. And I will blog about that later...

With this being one of my shortest F1 blogs (don't worry GB I'll be back to watching on iPlayer and reviewing at the same time) I guess my last word is that ANOTHER blog I'll be writing later is about fans booing drivers as Vettel (not Hamilton *shock horror*) was booed on the podium today. I'll leave my thoughts for elsewhere.

This blog might make it sound like I was bored out of my skull but I really wasn't! There just wasn't much to watch or talk about really.

Ohhh Paul de Resta (is it de or di?) he lasted 57 laps on his tyres. Not a fan of his but good on him for that! He had a brilliant race and deserved it for being brave with his strategy only one stop for the Scot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment