1 May 2013

Genre v Quality

From music to books, TV to films people like to say they are a fan of certain genres be it horror, fantasy, rock music or pop.

But is it really genre that means anything or is it just purely the quality of the product in front of us?


Personally for me it is all about quality.

I label myself as a fan of country western and rock music but one of my favorite bands is Take That and I have more pop music then anything else on my iPhone. I love comedy films, things that make me laugh but some of my favorite films have just made me think about life.

You see so many people who close their minds to things because it has nothing to do with "their" genre. Thing is when you close your mind to something then you'll never know what it is you are actually missing.

I'll give anything a go before I turn it away, sometimes I'll be stubborn and ignore something because people compare it to things that I really dislike and then I'll watch it and love it and wonder why the heck I ever ignored it.

I think people need to start giving other things a chance, things they wouldn't usually think about, it is only by opening your mind you'll find magical worlds and wonderful people that you never knew was there.

When I was a teenager I didn't get into all the fuss and bother of Harry Potter, it never interested me to do so, when I finally gave it a chance I found something I loved. OK I still don't think it was as brilliant as everyone else did but I liked it, and if I had given it a chance earlier I would have spent a longer time within the fandom then I did.

I just recently got my friend reading Sherlock Holmes, she had seen Sherlock on TV (the BBC show based off of the stories) but had never bothered to read the actually books as she didn't really like detective books and nothing I could say to begin with would change her mind. I finally got her reading them and finally she has entered the world of the consulting detective and from what we can gather loves it!

Of course you can make a logical decision based on your experience in what you like and dislike but you shouldn't close the door completely on new things, it is always important to give everything a chance. This is why it is always good to have a friendship group full of people with differing tastes as you'll find things that you never knew you could love within their pool of interests.

Having the bravery to try something different, something out of your comfort zone even if it is as silly as watching a TV show that is a different genre or looks different from the usual stuff you like is a great thing. You should never limit yourself to anything.

So close the door at your own risk!

No comments:

Post a Comment