29 May 2013

Fairy Tail : Fire Bird

Chapter 332

Last week Natsu rushed off with his own strategy of how to defeat the Dragons, I had a feeling from the moment he ran off I wouldn't like it, has my fear been realized?

(And for the anonymous poster I hold my hands up that I was wrong and you were right! Shows me to write a review whilst reading the chapter I always miss the important bits.)

***SPOILER***

Yes my fear has been kind of realized. My anonymous friend was right, Natsu ran off to eat the flame of the Flame Dragon.

Even worse that Dragon was Laxus's.

Even worse than that Natsu sends Laxus and the Thunder Tribe to help Wendy.

More on that later.

So Natsu eats the flames of the Dragon and tells the Flame Dragon that he is the son of Igneel, King of the fire Dragons, as far as the Flame Dragon is now concerned Natsu is an friend.

F.Rogue is too busy surveying the damage and bragging about a victory he is yet to have to notice Atlas Flame and Natsu coming up from behind him. Together they challenge F.Rogue setting up for what could be an interesting chapter next time out!

So why didn't I like it?

To be honest I did like it, and I don't like it. I know I'm going to upset a lot of people with what I have to say about it as well.

I love Natsu but I hate that everything has to always come down to make him look good. I know he is the main character and this always happened, guess what? I hated Harry Potter because Harry did my head in all the time, at least I like Natsu! The thing I dislike I guess is that this was the perfect chance to show all 7 Dragon Slayers being strong, but they've already made sure that two of them won't get that chance. We don't really need to see Laxus any stronger than he has been to be fair, he's beaten a whole guild on his own AND the 5th strongest Wizard out there, but Wendy needs to shine for her own ability and if Laxus does help then it takes aways from that. If Laxus doesn't help then it takes away anything for him in general.

Thing is like most people I see Lucy as a main character as well yet she always seems to be set up to be the brunt of the joke or if not the brunt of a joke then we spend time being told she's stronger and smarter than we think but we don't actually get that followed through by SEEING her being stronger and smarter then we think.

I don't know, I guess what I've always loved about Fairy Tail is that ALL the characters are developed, everyone is important. Yeah I've always felt a bit let down about how Natsu saves the day, it has never ruined the manga for me and I understand why they do it but just for once they had the PERFECT story to show Lucy save the day (she possibly still will) and for all the Dragon Slayers to be on an equal footing. Natsu would still get the big victory over F.Rogue AND a Dragon but the other 6 would get their one fight with a Dragon to show that they are strong. I mean yeah Natsu might be stronger then he shows at times but he wasn't the one that beat one of the 10 Wizard Saints, no that guy has had his Dragon defeated for him and is going to help someone else.

Maybe it is just because I'm a Laxus/Gajeel/Rogue fan and I wanted them to shine in their battles and already one of them has had that taken away from them.

Most of that probably didn't make sense so let me shorten it.

I get it, main characters have to save the day. My problem, Fairy Tail feels like my family, I love all the characters, one of my favorites is Jet and he's hardly been written about ever. So yes Natsu gets to save the day but when you have the perfect chance to show off 6 other characters and STILL HAVE Natsu save the day don't take that chance away from 6 well loved characters!

Though I really should have guessed he was going to eat the Dragon as the anonymous commenter said it was so obvious after I got over the whole naked Lucy thing. To be honest that was quite an interesting way to do things, even more interesting that the Dragon found respect for Natsu and is now on his side.

I still liked the chapter and now that I know we aren't going to get 7 epic Dragon Slayer fights my expectations have been totally changed and I'll enjoy it on another level.

I have a friend who hates Jellal and her worst nightmare was Jellal coming to save Erza last week, I was in tears cheering on Jellal, everyone has different thoughts on these matters and to be fair the proof of the quality of writing is that we have SO MUCH emotional attachment to these characters. My poor Lightning Bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment