23 March 2013

The British Uprising

So I was asked today about my view on the "take over" by British stars.

In other words Benendict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith and at times James McAvoy... Amongst a few others.

To be honest in my view it is very easy.

They are normal, down to earth, friendly, handsome, well spoken men. Add to that when they do get massive they are actually really shocked to think that they'd have fans as devoted and in love with them as we all are.

PLUS possibly the biggest plus is that they are all BRILLIANT actors. And I say that as someone who has only ever seen one thing with David Tennant in that I liked!

What isn't there to like?

Personally. Well I don't like Tennant much myself and am indifferent to McAvoy, I'd also exclude Matt because even though I like him his boom in America is purely for Doctor Who and even though I've seen a few bits here in the UK (on the BBC) that he has been in I don't know whether he'll "burst" into this scene like the others have.

So Benedict and Tom...

***DISCLAIMER : That is the major part of the blog all done and dusted up there ^__^ what happens down here V--V is basically me telling you why I personally think Benedict and Tom are wonderful making it worldwide. There isn't much more from what I said about all of them but I'm a huge fan of both Benedict and Tom***

So Benedict and Tom...

These guys aren't conventionally good looking. They wouldn't be put into a boy band. They ARE handsome, undoubtedly, even if you don't find them attractive you have to admit they have handsome features.

What I find with them (like Rammstein) is the more I watch interviews with them, the more I see of them away from the movies the more they become real in my head (I said this better in the Rammstein blog) and no matter how they'd look I'd always have a soft spot for them anyway because their personalities (especially Tom's) shines out on their faces.

Now that sounds like a whole load of poetic crud. But it is true!

To be honest they are both in the middle ground of attractiveness for me (this blog isn't going to be all about how pretty they are please bare with my mumbling) I think it is because I don't like men with light hair much (again bare with me please, if this is boring you just skip it, it gets better) so sometimes when they have their natural hair coloring it doesn't do much for me. There I said it, plus Tom has curly hair and I don't like curly hair on men much.

But when both of them smile (another paragraph to skip I'm afraid) it doesn't matter, you can see so much joy and love on their faces it wouldn't matter if they actually were ugly (which they aren't) you'd still find something to love about them.

Now away from that subject... Totally!

They are two of the most talented actors I've seen in recent years. I'll write more in depth about them later in their own separate blogs (maybe after the weekend and my F1 blogs) but Sherlock (Cumberbatch) and Prince Hal (Hiddleston) are two parts that really stand out for me. So much strength in both performances, heck Prince Hal was Shakespeare and even my sister who hates olde English as she puts it sat down and fell in love with it all. They put so much into their characters it gives you goosebumps to watch!

In fact during the build up to the new Star Trek movies I think Cumberbatch's villain for me has shone more then any of these characters did in the first movie (you know like annoying Chris Pine or "lets make a icon into a slut" type characters.... I'll write a blog about that in May) and a lot of people want to see it just for him.

Most fads (Bieber, Timberlake.... Bands that get trended on twitter.... People) are there because they are attractive, they reach out to millions of teenagers who might fancy them. These two in particular aren't were they are purely because of good looks, most people fell in love with the characters they portrayed, then the person they are before seeing them in all their beauty.

I hope that they and the others (heck lets make an army of our normal attractive, in no way fake and wonderfully lovely people, actors (yes grammar took a backseat in that sentence) ) make it big world wide because in my opinion they are bringing a depth to their roles that personally have been missing in many films recently for me.

I said (I think) yesterday in my Marvel blog that MCU have done alright as they cast the right people in the right roles and they've brought them to life, but if I take Chris Evans as an example as Johnny in the Fantastic Four he was just a pretty boy in a movie to attract female audiences. Now he might have been put as Captain America for the same reason but he made that role his own.

I don't think I could ever see Benedict, Tom, David, James or Matt not do that in any role.

Benedict broke my heart in Hawking.
Tom will forever be my Loki.
Matt was brilliant in Christopher and his Kind.
David brought millions of people back to Doctor Who (which I'll always be grateful for)
And McAvoy is just wonderful at times (listening to Neverwhere at the moment he's great in that)

Its about time these types of guys went from being hidden in a corner for decent "stereotype" roles and burst out to be the best and biggest thing in the movies.

I really do love how wonderful they all are.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the disclaimer :) I don't see the attractiveness in Cumberbatch but have to admit he is one HELL of an actor!

    Hiddleston is cuter, he gets the aww factor a lot I think!

    ReplyDelete