26 March 2013

Clarification on my opinion of the RBR Team Orders

So with people trying to make out anyone who had a problem with Seb's attitude on Sunday is a hypocrite I want to clarify my stance.

I don't give a toss about team orders. I think it is a team sport and if you can help your team mate you should. AT THE SAME TIME I don't think team orders should be there at the beginning of the season when BOTH drivers are able to win the title. The emphesis should always be on getting both drivers to the championship UNLESS it is written in their contract.

Of course I have the utmost respect for any driver who disobeys team orders, I have no respect for a driver who takes a team order then moans about it post-race and gets their team into trouble *cough*Massa*cough*...

Now my problem with Vettel wasn't that he disobeyed a team order (which would be hypocritical I fully admit) and it isn't about team orders in general either. It is all about respect.

I will give Vettel the benefit of the doubt that he could have misheard, he might not have understood or whatever.

In my view he got a call that he knew would mean Webber was on the back foot and then after not being able to get past Webber when they were on equal footing ("He's much slower than me" strop) he took that opportunity to overtake Webber when he had the upper ground.

That isn't just disobeying a team order, that is showing a total lack of respect to Webber who has in the past helped Vettel in the race when he's been out of the championship picture.

People say that is the ruthlessness that a 3x World Champion needs. Maybe so. But I'd rather have a straight team order (Mercedes even though it pissed me off the way they spoke to Nico) then one driver taking advantage of a team order but ignoring them when they go against them in a disrespectful manner.

So to conclude...

Disobey team orders all you like, but at least do it when it is needed. Don't be an ass and when you know the team has put your team mate at a disadvantage use that as a reason to overtake them. THAT isn't racing, it isn't even in my opinion disobeying a team order the way we mean it to be its being a jackass for no reason. And I'd feel the same if it was any other driver.

(Example Alonso is the biggest jackass on the grid most races and he's my favorite driver)

No comments:

Post a Comment