1 January 2013

Celebs v Everyone else

OK so let me explain the title.

Basically the blog is my opinion on something that really annoys me. It probably only annoys me because I'm online, but basically its to do with how people treat celebs differently because they are celebs.

I don't mean the worshiping etc, I mean when something bad happens how they are quick to jump to their defense, whereas if their next door neighbor was accused of the same thing they possibly wouldn't be so quick to jump to their defense at all.

***WARNING : below is my opinion, it might not be anything like yours but it is valid because it is mine (as valid as yours is)***


Now I am going to be using a current celeb situation as a jumping point for this view point. I would like to point out that this individual is innocent until he is proven otherwise and I have no real opinion on the situation until the court case.

So you've possibly guessed its about Ian Watkins the lead singer of LostProphets. He has been accused of some nasty things and been remanded in custody now for the second time until March.

I grew up as a LostProphets fan and I still do like their music so this isn't a hater, hating on him. As I said I'm using his situation as a jumping point for something I wanted to write about.

Now as I just said I'm taking the normal, grown up point of view of not getting involved until I know the facts. What little I know about the law is a bit worrying but I don't like jumping on this "burn the witch" bandwagon that pops up every time anything bad happens to a celeb.

Neither am I the person who sits there shouting down everyone who shares their opinion because "there's no way he'd do that I LOVE HIM?!!!! LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!!"

Both the bandwagon jumping and the pointless blinding yourself to someone annoys me.

The disappointed fans, the confused fans and the fans who are going to be blind but not harp on about it until the court case I respect, but the others are just terrible examples of a wasted tweet/Tumblr post.

The thing is if someone down the road was accused of the same thing you wouldn't get all these people trying to defend him, I've seen it myself. A teacher at my sisters school was accused of being a pedophile  he was fired instantly and there was basically a witch hunt surrounding him for months until his court case. Now in this case he pleaded guilty and actually he was a terrible human and he got sentenced and is serving his time and has the title of sex offender to follow him the rest of his life.

But just think if he'd gone to court and proved he wasn't?

Unlike Ian Watkins who has been charged for having pictures on his computer this teacher was accused by the words of a victim.

Now hypothetically if he had pleaded innocent and gone on to prove it was all ballony that label would stick to him and you'd still have people (normal people) who would still think he'd cheated his way into being let go and that actually he was guilty.

To be honest the best example is Michael Jackson. No matter how much he was found innocent people will believe that he did everything and anything to get out of being found guilty and therefore he was guilty in their opinions.

Bandwagon jumping is just as dangerous as blindly following someone even if they are found guilty. If Watkins is found guilty and his fans still go on and on about him being innocent (I mean I've heard everything from apparently he was being set up to the police have nothing on him but are accusing him because they hate emos) all they are doing is setting a terrible precedent.

If Watkins is hypothetically found guilty for some of the things he's being charged with and these people carry on about him being a wonderful person etc and they'll support him no matter what, where will the line end? Will they still support him if he comes out of prison and kills a fan on stage? Will their only anger be it wasn't them being treated specially?

I know the internet lets people view extreme (and sometimes not really exactly their own) opinions but if someone is accused and then found guilty of wanting to rape a 1 year old and you try to rationalize it what kind of human does that make you?

Now 90% of the fans aren't doing that. And they aren't on a hate bandwagon either. Most of them are supporting the band, and maybe hoping and praying Watkins is acquitted but knowing deep down if he is guilty their opinion will have to change. They are the normal ones.

I personally don't know how I'll feel if he is found guilty. If he's innocent I'll just forget the whole thing, but if he's found guilty my mind won't change on their music, but a big part of my teenage years was being his fan. Hell it was only about April this year that I took down a LP poster and three pictures of Ian Watkins from my wall!

If this was a normal person 80% of these people wouldn't care. The others would probably already have found him guilty.

Some of these people seem to need to be reminded that Ian Watkins is a normal human being, yes he's a celeb but first and foremost (and most importantly) he is a human being. He has flaws, he isn't perfect, none of them are. If he's guilty, he's as guilty as the next human that is charged with the same, and the person before him. He isn't special because he's a celeb, somehow his crime won't be lessened (maybe depending on the circumstances it would be worse like the Jimmy Saville stuff) he should be treated like a normal person. He is innocent until proven guilty.

Lets hope that some people remember that the next time someone is accused with anything at all in the real world.




****And before anyone asks, no I don't know why the women haven't been named and he has. I'm not a judge or have any real knowledge of laws. Yeah they probably shouldn't announce it to the world but then again you have to remember that it'll come out one way or the other so whatever****

1 comment:

  1. Oh I know a lot of people like that too. Its alright for this musician to be a drug addict because he was my hero and he's ill and he'll get better, but god forbid this normal person on the street who turned to drugs after being abused and now needs help.

    Some people can be right prats about these things, one minute on their high horse the next making every excuse under the sun.

    ReplyDelete