1 January 2013

The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey

Since it has been released I have seen the first part of The Hobbit trilogy twice. There is also a good chance I'll be going to see it on Wednesday again as well.

So my thoughts on Peter Jackson's newest vision from Middle Earth?

****SPOILERS*****



I'll start by saying that I am a big fan of LotR and all of Tolkiens work. I was also a big fan of Jackson LotR trilogy which was such a big part of my teenage years.

The Hobbit has to be one of my favorite books, its a simple read, full of adventures. Such a lovely story. I have my doubts over stretching the book out into three movies but adding more from the other tales is an interesting way to pad them out.

So the movie itself?

I loved how they started off with Ian Holmes and Elijah Wood. It made it feel like a full circle that will be reached! Its amazing how Elijah still looks exactly the same, and their talk ends with Frodo running off to surprise Gandalf in the woods, the first glimpse you get of Frodo in Fellowship of the Ring.

Next has to be how wonderful Martin Freeman is. Man is he wonderful! It was a very good match as Martin  has (in my opinion) the same kind of face as Ian Holmes. He was a perfect fit and from scene one felt as much as a Bilbo as his older self always did.

If any of the film would have lacked it would have been a safe bet that Freeman would have carried it. Thankfully (not surprisingly) none of the film lacked.

The whole company was brilliant, I loved every single dwarf, though so far you haven't been introduced to the tiny little traits of each dwarf that makes you fall in love with them all. Its funny how short the book actually is but it makes you love each dwarf separately. It won't ruin the film if they don't do this, I have a feeling they will only develop Thorin, Fili and Kili (and use Bofur a lot as James Nesbitt is pretty wonderful.) Why do I feel they will only develop these?

LotR had Frodo, Aaragon and Legolas for the girls to go mad over.

I personally find Martin Freeman attractive, but he might not be seen in that same light.

So personally I think they have Thorin, Fili and Kili to link to people who might not want to watch (or like it) but might go and watch because of that sexy actor who looks grumpy all the time.

I could be wrong, and to be fair all the dwarfs are good enough actors that their parts won't be forgotten or rest on them being handsome (just like it didn't for Frodo, Aaragon and Legolas.)

Bofur was probably my favorite dwarf. He had me giggling in their first meeting with Bilbo and then nearly crying as he reacts to Bilbos words when he is about to leave them in the goblin cave.

He did a much better job at making me care about the dwarfs then Thorin did. Thorin seemed to stand about most of the time looking miserable. I think it was meant to look like Aaragon in the original trilogy looking angsty about his destiny etc, but it just made Thorin seem like a miserable twerp who should brighten up. The look and way he acts doesn't work. But it is a very small dislike.

I loved all the songs, when the dwarfs sang of the lonely mountain it made me swell up in the cinema.

The goblin kings song made me giggle. And the fact they used the cleaning up song in Biblos house made me happy!

The book is a fair representation of The Hobbit and making it into three films will give them enough time to explore everything fully.

Of course the show was stolen when Golem and his riddles arrived. Every one of the riddles I remember from the book and Andy Serkis hasn't lost it yet!

Everything from Rivendell to the Stone Giants was perfectly put onto the screen.

It looked beautiful, it sounded marvelous and was acted perfectly.

Everyone should go and see it.

9.9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment