2 April 2012

TNA Maximum IMPACT Tour IV (Jan 2012)

Me with JB
So as I said in my last (first) blog this year started off well with a big achievement for me.

I'm a life long wrestling fan and I love TNA, even with their short comings I just adore them. So last year I decided to bite the bullet and go to a TNA live show, and on the 28th January I was standing outside Wembley Arena.... On my own. Waiting for the show.

Why is this such an achievement?

(And just so you know this ISN'T a review of the night)



I've never really been anywhere on my own, before this I'd been to wrestling shows with my mum and one in Portsmouth with my sister the year before. I'd been to two gigs, one with my sister back in '06 (Reel Big Fish Get Happy Tour) and then with friends in October (won two free tickets to Fozzy at the White Rabbit in Plymouth). I don't like going into shops on my own and here I was in a queue of hundreds waiting to go to a wrestling show.

I went to the Fan Interactive which was a rip off. The wrestlers where all on a small table at the back of the room they were in, security were basically hurrying everyone around the room as fast as possible and there was a big mix up because Hulk Hogan hadn't shown up on time so everyone was standing around on the other side of the room waiting to be let back INTO the queue to meet him.

The upside on it was that JB, Christie Hemmie, Dixie Carter and Earl Hebner where walking around the room signing things (the London tour didn't get their free autograph books so it was damn good we all brought the program) and Magnus, Velvet Sky and Tara did their best to show that they really wanted to be there.

All the other wrestlers couldn't be bothered looked bored out of their mind and hardly looked up from the books, turning the pages to the wrestler sitting next to them moving it on and taking the next book. My book reached Crimson at the end of the table before I did!

So going into the arena for the night I was already a little disappointed.

Did things pick up?

Hell no.

Bad luck was my name that night and I managed to be sitting behind the tallest German to have ever existed.

I had a headache before any of the action started trying to get my neck to detach so I was high enough off the ground to see anything at all!

Am I a bit moany and expected a little too much? Well probably yes on the moany but no on the expectations.

Every year I heard how awesome these events where and even though it was just bad luck that I was standing behind someone who was like 7 foot tall I didn't enjoy the evening at all.

The matches to be fair where really good, and it was very nice to hear all the boos for over hyped wrestlers no one really cares about and some of the heels being cheered!

The obvious match of the night for me was the Alex Shelley match, Alex Shelley is one of my all time fav wrestlers and to see him wrestle live AND WIN was a great thing for me. To be honest him winning made up for everything.

Even though I didn't enjoy the night I was mightly proud of myself all the same! I got in there on my own, I made 3 friends that evening, one I still kind of interact with on Facebook and Twitter, and I got back to my hotel pretty much on my own without one little panic attack.

For me that is a big thing, the arena was packed and I made it through without anyone holding my hand. It gave me courage to try other things.

This all came together at a perfect time for me, in December (and even though it is very personal I probably will write about David at some point) I started dating a geek. Whats so important about that? Well even though I am a geek I'd never dated one before, my ex's where football fans who wouldn't read if they had to. David is dragging me kicking and screaming into the life I've always wanted but never had the guts to go into, and even though I'd planned this whole event months before I even really knew him let alone dated him (technically I've known him for 5 years) the timing couldn't have been more perfect.

Its given me a lot of confidence to do things I wouldn't normally do.

Its shown me that I can do things like "normal" people on my own if I put my mind to it.

And most importantly it proved that deep down inside there is a more confident person waiting to come out.

Would I do it again? Yes, because as suckish as the night was it helped me a lot more then people will ever realize.

I would have reviewed the night but its been months now and I've slept a lot since then. So instead have a photo of Alex Shelley I took!

Alex Shelley v Austin Areas v Douglas Williams taken Jan 2012


Ohhh but more excitedly I am going to Silverstone for the MotoGP with my friend Fiona and my dearly beloved boyfriend David in June. So at least that is one blog to look forward too!

No comments:

Post a Comment