6 February 2014

Space Dandy : The Search for the Phantom Space Ramen, Baby

Episode 2

I've started, I might as well get fully up to date with this bad boy! I just want to know how they survived!

***SPOILERS***

Well with no explanation on how they survived we move on to the next adventure. They are trying to register their alien but it seems to be too common (not as common as Meow is.)

The mission for today is...... Pretty pointless once again, trying to find a phantom ramen alien.... thing.

All they seem to manage to do is go round ramen shacks, not paying for their meal whilst Meow "tweets" their position which gives the bad guys (who I didn't mention last time out) a easy way to follow them. Yet they are unable to capture them.

I really like the dynamic between the three characters and the very 60s feel to it all (I think 60s but what do I know could be 70s.) Dandy and Meow don't seem to get on very much, there does seem to be a very tense relationship there. But it leads to some great moments.

Meow was great in this episode, I loved the whole space tweeting their location, I so location tag my tweets so it didn't surprise me that their "secret" location was basically being tweeted world wide.

I never mentioned the bad guys in episode 1 did I? Well it seems that one of them is a monkey/ape in a ship with the Statue of Liberties head attached to it (Planet of the Apes much?) and his boss seems to be some kind of skull that sends message through a hologram.

They seem incompetent enough but at the same time look menacing which is pretty good really. Because the joke stays with Dandy, Dandy escapes usually out of sheer luck or stupidity and the bad guys stay looking pretty scary.

When they finally meet the alien that makes the ramen his story (other then being a stupid story in general) actually is quite sad and well thought out. I mean the premise of the story is silly but the way its told, whether silly or not is actually wonderful in its own way.

It is the good thing, even though its well thought out and the stories are obviously parodies of a certain time and genre they lose nothing in that.

It really does have its own feeling to it and you can't help but just like the characters, they aren't offensive and they are just... Mindlessly bumbling about the universe thinking they are wonderful when actually they are very lucky not to have been caught by now!

Plus the best thing is that it improved on the firsts episode, whereas the first episode was kind of fun but missable this one was a little bit of a masterpiece in itself. Loveable and I have a feeling the series will be addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment