7 February 2014

Noragami : Bidden Calamity

Episode 3

So it seems we might have the whole team together now. It would be nice if the story started to kick off though because it is starting to get a little boring in a way.

***SPOILERS***

I'm so on Yukine's side, it must be so difficult for him to be called to be a Regalia to a homeless God who eats leftovers.

So yeah for a change this one had quite a strong story as well as character development. In fact it seemed to have none of the problems from the first two episodes at all.

Even though there was still a lot of people just telling us big parts of the history of the characters and Phantoms and all that it flowed much better. It was fun meeting another God and seeing how different they are to someone like Yato who doesn't even have a Shrine, it was also nice finding out that these spirits are kids that wanted to live and had their lives ended too short (the whole suicide story to bring that realization was perfect and made such a big difference to just being spoon fed the whole time.)

There is starting to be a real team feeling to the group and I think the small acts of kindness is what is going to make them all stick together, even though Yato is a drifter we've seen that people are appreciative of his work and that he could actually charge more then he does for his work. He has his own pride though and works hard at being what he wants to be known for.

A lovely story really.

The strength of the last few episodes has always been the characters, if the characters had been bland we would have given up a long time before now. They aren't bland though they are interesting and unique in their ways. It is nice having three completely different characters finding ways to work together.

I don't really have a favourite though this episode went a long way towards making Yukine my favourite, I'd like to find out what happened to him at some point, I feel it'll be a really sad story to tell. But I'm strong enough for it *sniff*.

The whole time though they keep giving us a lot of information, just tons of it but by episode three I still think there is a lot to be explained. And that is a failing, when you spend all your time telling the audience so much and they still need to know more to understand something I don't think its done its job right. And that is where I've been saying the show is at its weakest. It doesn't do any one thing in each episode. You have character moments that never feel completed, information dumps that lead to nothing, action scenes that are starting to look samey.

BUT with saying all that the show is still interesting.

It still keeps my attention.

A I said I loved the comparison between a big well known God and Yato, I loved that his ex-Regalia is working for the older God and I love that Yato isn't just a one trick joke pony but has some real feelings behind him.

This episode went a long way to end some of the problems I've been having.

No comments:

Post a Comment