29 October 2013

Yowamushi Pedal : Because I Can Go to Akiba for Free

Ride 1

I said last season that I don't really like sports related anime and what happened? I got so involved in Free! that I could have blown a mountain up with my anger at the ending of the season. So a anime about cycling that until last season I would have ignored?

I have hopes. I have to admit.

***SPOILERS***

Straight into the intro, quite like it. Keeps my hopes high still.

They don't look like men, they look like kids... Onoda Sakamichi riding around on his bicycle riding to Akiba. He seems a bit of a wimp and wants to join the anime group, he seems real cute to be honest. A bit of a nut but adorably so.

Anime and manga club has been cancelled, poor thing.

We also meet a really grumpy dude that.... Well is just really grumpy. He meets Onoda when he is about to race off to practice his biking (grumpy not Onoda, he's off to Akiba) and tells him to get the train but he doesn't listen and ends up falling off his bike.

So Onoda impresses the grumpy guy, kind of, by being able to climb the hill on a "mommys" bike. But grumpy has many more problems then Onoda being wonderful!

Next day and he's hanging posters on the wall to get people to rejoin the anime group when the two girls he bumped into the other day corner him in a classroom. She saw him on his bike the day before (can guess where this is going), her name is Kanzaki Miki and her friend is Aya. She wanted to know if he really biked to Akiba, they seem very shocked to hear he has.

So Miki gives us an introduction to the third years in the biking group. The Captain is Kinjo, Makishima is a hill climber, Tadokoro is a sprinter. Sounds like a good team!

So Onoda doesn't get it easy, grumpy now wants to race him. This is going to end well!

So the race will probably be held next episode? Though I doubt it can happen seeing Onoda has damaged his bike!

Wow that was really something different, again it has proven me wrong with my assumption that sports anime's will be boring. I loved it! More then I loved the first few episodes of Free!

First off it has such a lovely cast full of potential. Onoda looks like he'll be a great main character, grumpy (I'm sorry if I missed his name!) looks to be were the drama will lay and Miki looks like the Ko of this particular series. All of them are interesting, fun and engaging.

This could be the surprise of the season though it really shouldn't be! I mean after Free! I should be giving sports anime their fair share of expectations.

The episode.

I enjoyed it, I liked how they introduced the main characters and especially love how the main character doesn't want to be a sports group, it is obvious he'll join the cycling team but right now all he's concerned about is making friends to talk about anime with. Which is sweet. He's slowly being introduced to people around him that will probably make him change his mind.

He's clueless about everything and that is probably why I love him, it is funny but it isn't forced comedy I think it works really well, making the character lovable and not annoying or too much.

I loved the pace of the episode, it never felt like they were trying to cram information into as much of the episode as possible and felt like they were going to take their time and build the story, which I do like.

I loved the style of the anime too, very clean and easy to watch. The characters all look great and I can't wait to see more of the third years, specially Makishima who just looks deadly awesome.

I think it was by far the most likable first episode I've seen in ages. Can't wait to see the rest of the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment