15 August 2013

WataMote : I'm unpopular, so I'll go watch the fireworks

Episode 6

Last week we had the "skills changing" attempt. Tomoko wanted to be the silent and emotionless character... Harder for her to do that when she's silent and emotionless anyway!

And the great Cappuccino mess. Poor Tomoko!

***SPOILERS***

We are playing another love game today are we? After discovering "true loves" meaning she goes to tell her brother who... Isn't impressed.

So there is something different with Tomoko today. She does look better rested... She finally notices it after looking in the mirror and of course she thinks its because she's found the meaning of true love. She blames it on falling in love and having "pseudo-sex" on her computer game.

She misreads her brothers stare, he's glaring at her because he finds her disgusting. Wow breakfast with them two is a joy and a half!

Her hair is greasy though as she hasn't had a bath after pulling an all nighter. Then she gets a can of coke to her face! After going to play with ants she gets... ants... in... her... pants.... Some guy tried to get a bug off her shoulder later on and she blanks out and thinks he's staring at her, again the guy sitting next to her see's a bug and talks to her which sends her off on one.

The true love of the game wears off when she realizes that he'll only ever say the same things to her.

And the last day of semester and she hasn't got anyone to go and see the fireworks with. Poor Tomoko. She goes to the library to find a "loner" and it turns out that her plan is ruined by the fact not everyone in a library will be a loner. She does the pretending to be on a phone and having someone cancel on her to get the guy in the library to ask her to go... Doesn't work.

She goes to a rooftop that she used to go to with Yuu but two middle schoolers show up and she turns to leave, she gets the courage to ask them if she can stay and see the fireworks and they say yes. The boys are there because there is a hotel and they can see people having sex through the window. Funny ending, trust Tomoko!

So she didn't get anyone to see the fireworks with her, or at least not the ones she wanted to watch. Again her plans fail and again I understand it. I always used to read a weekly horoscope and fool myself that I'd be lucky or they were talking to me, no, they never do talk to people like me so I gave up in the end.

Also I, unknown to myself and with no real reason for it looked better at some points then I did at others, though I don't think I really freaked out about it.

The library as well! I always wished that someone would come to me in the library and just talk to me, make friends with me, anything. The pain is still too hard to take.

I do love the weird and wonderful situations that Tomoko gets up to. As I've said before we don't really get the dating games in England, or if we do I've never seen them so it isn't a thing that I really get but I loved the whole learning about true love thing from a video game.

The thing I do love most about the series is the relationship she has with her brother, Tomoki is just as much my favorite as Tomoko and I love them both interacting all the time. The long suffering baby brother, but he does look and act a lot older than her.

I really want Tomoko to succeed in some way but at the same time I really like how she is just like me and I never succeed (look at my "looking for a friend" blog post) so I don't want her to succeed because in many MANY cases you just don't succeed.

The episode was really fun and not quite as sad as some of them have been, I like how we ended on a happy note, she got to do something with someone else. Even if it was pervy and it was with middle school kids. She got to be around other people and see fireworks. What more can we ask for?

I understand why the show wouldn't be for some people, she has a very funny way of reading situations and holds grudges against others for the simple act of not being her friend, but it kind of is the way you end up thinking. You don't really dislike or think these things about them (unless they bully you or are these things) but it makes you feel better in your head to think the reason you don't fit in is because of them not you (and the English translation of the show is something like "No matter how I look at it, its your guys fault I'm not popular".) If you haven't had that kind of feeling before you won't like the character much.

People don't understand that feeling that way doesn't so much make you a bad person, you usually feel guilty feeling that way or really just feel that way to an imaginary person without a face not the person you are around. You'd never say it to them because you don't really feel it, but when you are made to feel like you are invisible, like you don't matter, like you are only existing to make others feel good about themselves you do have some dark thoughts.

Tomoko is very realistic in ways a lot of other characters in everything that are meant to be realistic aren't. I'd love a girl like this to end up traveling with the Doctor. We aren't perfect, we don't know anything and our existence is meaningless and uninteresting but we are people's and we are the people that usually have very easily hurt feelings.

As you can see I love Tomoko and I love this anime.

GO TEAM UNPOPULAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment