17 August 2013

One Piece : I'm Luffy! The Man Who Will Become the Pirate King! (Anime)

Episode 1

OK so a special blog on the first episode of One Piece.

As you all know I started reading the manga and I've enjoyed it (yes sorry I've stopped blogging on it recently!) so I thought I'd give the first episode of the anime a try and maybe later on I'll end up watching that one (the manga is a long trip but the anime is just as long...)

***SPOILERS***

so I have to say one thing that is a bit annoying is the amount of spoilers in the opening sequence. I mean I love not knowing who is going to be on Luffy's crew in the manga, don't forget I had no interest in the show so never really paid attention to anything about it. So I've never seen photos of Luffy or any of his crew and enjoyed it that way. This... We see them all from the beginning.

If anything I also really dislike the animation style.

It also seems to be very different to the first story in the manga.Unless I've missed something we start with Captain Alvida. And isn't that Nami on the ship she's attacking? I'm guessing that Luffy is in the barrel the other ship pulled up seeing that he was in a barrel when he first met Coby in the manga, and obviously there has been a lot of attention on that barrel.

We get to see Alvida's ship though which is nice, not what I was expecting then again I'm not sure what I was expecting with Alvida! Especially after seeing the wonders of Buggy's ship.

So yes Luffy explodes from the barrel screaming about a wonderful nap. It is nice to see that Luffy is his normal self from the manga.

I guess other than the animation I did really enjoy it, I don't usually mind things being different from its source material as long as important things are the same so the fact the setting was different didn't bother me. I mean when I was a kid this kind of animation was the norm, I'm probably just used to better quality so going back to this type of thing needs me to get used to it.

It has its charms and I enjoy it to be honest. I will probably watch another episode at some point, it was more a whim that I watched it just to see the differences and I enjoyed it enough that it isn't off the cards watching it all from the beginning, in fact it could be quite fun when I'm a way into the manga.

I think I prefer the manga, just how it is drawn and where it started from. It isn't too different and I still loved Luffy and Coby, but its made me instantly dislike Nami who... I think I only just met in the last blog post from the manga (I've read on from it just need to write the blogs.) I think it is impossible to dislike Luffy to be honest when you've gotten used to the character, he's just one of those characters.

All in all I'm impressed, I'd heard mixed reports. People who like the manga dislike the anime, people who like the anime dislike the manga.... Personally I enjoyed it greatly and like that there are a few differences between the anime and the manga.

They are off to find Zoro (YAY) and I think I'll give it a while before I start watching it. It is the first time I'll read the manga before I watch the anime so it'll be interesting doing it the other way and I'm not far enough ahead yet to be able to do that!

I am definitely a One Piece convert though!

No comments:

Post a Comment