28 August 2013

Jamie Oliver Day 2

Not a long rant or anything of the sort today just a WTF moment.

Now he's saying he prefers to employ immigrants because British people whine too much.

So he's gone to the press whining about people whining? And probably whining because they don't want to work 100hr weeks by the sound of it...

Can we replace Jamie Oliver with someone else? I don't even mind a British worker because I know just like 90% of everyone in the world they'll work hard.

Once again stereotyping for no reason at all....


There is a 10% of people in any country that doesn't really want to work, I know that I've had the misfortune of meeting people in Plymouth who go to the extreme length of having children so they don't have to work. I also, working in a charity that get a lot of people from the job centre through for work experience, know that there are a lot of people that moan about having to do things like work experience.

I think its because when I was growing up I was always taught you work when you grow up and that is how you live. You can go to uni and get a better job or go straight into work.

When I was unemployed the mantra was "get into work and you can find a better job easy."

Both don't happen.

I've been a 14hr part time worker now for nearly 4 years, I apply for just as many jobs as I did when I was unemployed and have had about 5 job interviews. Mainly down to lack of references to be fair. I don't earn enough to live and when I do end up with a load of overtime I know that it won't make a difference really.

So you can see why people are annoyed, you are told the big story of get a job and you can live. You learn to plan how much to buy every month to live off of at school but our teachers forgot to remind us actually stocking up on bread, eggs, fruit and veg doesn't work because it goes off far faster then you'd imagine.

So you grow up, you get a job and even at home with your parents you need to be acting like you've grown up. You give rent to your parents and you end up having to buy things for yourself, going to work and being treated like you are below everyone because your part time or just because people above you think they are better isn't going to make a happy work force.

It really is why I'm on sick leave right now, I worked my butt off for weeks helping, going beyond what I physically had to do to help out but our area manager treated me like I hadn't bothered and was useless... I drove myself to the ground to help and he acted like they'd have been better off without me! And my assistant manager acted like, well that is my job and I have to do it! NO! My job is NOT doing her job I did that to help her so she didn't get stressed out.

You wonder why we whine?

Maybe its because we are still people and don't like to be treated like idiots?!

I'm not doubting at one point Jamie Oliver or anyone else had to go through the same trials that we're going through now. But sometimes especially someone like Oliver who tries to speak as an embarrassed for what is right kind of loses sight of the world around them.

I can't remember where I read it but there was a nice piece yesterday or today calling out his claims that the Spanish and the Italian poor are better then the British poor and pointed out if they are better off or eating better its because the Italian and Spanish chiefs put more charitable work in to help the poor.

Thing is Jamie Oliver is using a small pool of British people and stereotyping. We all do it no doubt but he is meant to be encouraging better eating and better thought into what you buy. Calling people names and acting like he knows better won't help his cause it'll just make people ignore him more. After all working for him might be bad but I doubt the millions of people in the retail sector that have to put up with snobbish comments like this TO THEIR FACES every day don't work hard. It is insulting, and he can say he didn't mean it to the people who do work hard but every individual is different and he's just living up to the hate thrown around to certain groups of people...

Like you can even really bloody group people together!

No comments:

Post a Comment