10 July 2013

Free! : Starting Block of Reunions!

Episode 1

I saw some picture of this, seems to be male dominated anime. God only knows what it is about but "Starting Block" sounds like swimming? Running?

***SPOILER***

"The water is alive. Once you dive in, it will immedately bare its fangs and attack. But there is nothing to fear."

So I was right, it will be about swimming. Not sure if I will enjoy an anime about a sport. Not really usually my thing! I'm more fantasy/comedy then I am serious character drama. But we'll see.

So we start with a flashback to when the main characters were kids, one of them just transferred to their school and wants to do a relay with the other good swimmer but he only does freestyle apparently.

Back to the present and apparently the freestyler (Haru) only has three years left till he's just ordinary.

The start credits do nothing for me. As I said in another blog sometimes I get a feel for the story with them but with this so far I get nothing. The opening credits are like a bad boy band music video.

His friend Mako comes to collect him for school (funny scene with Haru in the bath in his swimming trunks and cooking in his swimming trunks) and when at school they meet the youngest of their old friends Nagisa who has just moved up to their school. Nagisa has been wanting to swim with Haru again but Mako tells him that Haru doesn't swim competitively anymore but he still goes with them to dig up the relay trophy they won (yeah Haru was convinced to do it in the end.)

If anything Nagisa and Mako will keep me interested, at the pool site which is about to be ripped down he uses salt to "purify" them from ghosts just it isn't salt its sugar he's brought. He is adorable.

The transfer student, Rin, shows up and challenges Haru to a race, just there isn't any water in the pool. Apparently he's been in Australia at a swimming school and has come back such a douche bag!

They have a girl admirer which turns out to be Rin's sister Gou (one of the main jokes apparently is that the boys names are all female-ish and her name is male-ish) who tells them that Rin is attending the "Swimming Powerhouse" boarding school so they go over to see him. Haru only goes because they tell him he can swim and whilst they are in the pool Rin see's them and demands they get out. It sets up for the next episode to have a swimming duel!

So it isn't the most interesting of things for me to be honest. Will I keep watching?

For another episode or two yes.

Why?

Because some of the characters are really sweet and I've fallen in love with their cuteness. If they story doesn't intrigue me I won't be turning on again in a few episodes and the worst bit is... I don't even like men built like that in the real world so even though I think they are such pretty drawn men their stupid bodies are horrible and I hate it. Silly thing to dislike but if you don't like watching something then you ain't gonna put it on! Though I know I'm in a very big minority of one!

I don't like how Rin was the cute one and now is a douche and Haru is hard to like or dislike he's just bland but that will all change within the series no doubt!

It hasn't really grabbed my attention BUT saying that it has grabbed at my heart (or at least two characters have) so there will be another blog, but I'm not sure I'll carry on with it.

It just isn't my type of thing and I can see myself getting bored of the characters after awhile.

I can see this being on a Friday or Saturday. Don't hold me to it! I'll get to it when it comes but as it isn't a priority I might get busy and have to catch up on it when and where I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment