13 May 2013

F1 : Spanish GP 2013

Grand Prix of Spain 2013

Winner : Fernando Alonso
Second : Kimi Raikkonen
Third : Felipe Massa

After a surprisingly good race last time out in Bahrain can my Spanish favorite win his home GP? Especially seeing that he hasn't been getting the best luck this series even though he is fighting his heart out!

With a Mercedes 1-2 in qualifying the race was on!

So the coverage opened with Suzi Perry getting a marriage proposal and EJ and DC seemingly forgetting that DC has also driven for RBR and they AREN'T floundering at all.

Ohhh look Fernando went and met the crowd during the drivers parade lap, how wonderful is he. I bet Vettel does the same now.... But let us all remember Alonso is the bestest (other than Kimi how would never whore himself out to his fans, we wouldn't want him to either, we love you Kimi the way you are!)

I, as always, "watched" the race on twitter, so I feel I need a hashtag like Lotus. Probably #Lateasalways suits me fine.

EJ then went on to saying that if Whitmarsh was in the Premiership then he'd be fired by now... Since when has lack of race wins/championships meant a F1 team principle gets the boot? Stefano hasn't won a title since Kimi in '07! 

I ignored the Ross Brawn interview, not because I wanted to but because of some happy news (see a blog tomorrow!) but I really wish I was busy when Horner was talking because I can't be bothered with him #Lateasalways .

This tyre issue... I have big problems with their moaning about them I like the tyres. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Fernando and Mark interviewing each other. Fan girl dream I love these two. Oh Mark don't remind us of Alonso crashing, I never want to see Alonso crash ever! Ever again! And why remind us of this race. I want to cry seeing that crash in Brazil 2003 (bloody long time ago!). And I love the end, Webber "We'll have their job now, they are useless" Reporter "Who will win the championship this year?" Alonso "Ahhh, Real Madrid"..........

GIANCARLO MENTION FISICHELLA MENTION FISICO!!!!

I admit that I skipped the Vettel stuff and ended up skipping WAY too much so anything after that I've missed because I am now listening to Ben Edwards explaining the grid to us.

Wow the new BBC graphics are cool! I think they are retro, even though its new technology it is quite olden styled isn't it?

Lights go out..... THAT FUCKING FERRARI! Ok he didn't actually get a brilliant position but still it just gets off the bloody line! And Alonso overtaking people...... Man I love that man.

Hamilton couldn't really keep the pace, Rosberg kept his lead but you could see that Vettel and Alonso were just so much faster. Massa overtook Perez and was getting encouraging messages from Rob. 

Massa really has gotten his form back, something I didn't think I'd be saying is that he was hassling Raikkonen for position, Kimi got past Hamilton (who to be fair is falling backwards anyway) and Massa got through a lap or so later. Though he pitted right away. But man is it nice to see Massa back! #Lateasalways suits him too.

Grosjean retired with problems, something seemed to break in his back end (car not his back end) actually felt sorry for him he looked really sad.

A load of cars came into the pits together, Alonso came in a lap before Rosberg and Vettel. Alonso got Vettel in the pits (no overtake) but was immediately racing Rosberg, it was wonderful! It ended up shaking out to be Rosberg-Alonso-Vettel-Massa. Very interesting to be honest, very interesting!  Not much in it either. 

Wooo Alonso's pass wasn't anything special but a wonderful sight for a Alonso fan. Not only that but Massa staying with Alonso and Vettel and not getting trapped behind the falling Rosberg was a awesome sight for a Massa fanette and Ferrari fan! 

Romain told Lee the wheel came loose. 

Webber, the McLarens and the Mercedes seem to be really struggling this season, feel really bad for all of them (yes I know! Hamilton!) because there doesn't look to be one reason why (well other than Webber *cough*Vettel*cough). I mean lap 19 and Button was 14th/15th? That really isn't good enough! And from pole and second Rosberg and Hamilton were slowly falling back for the rest of the race, Rosberg stuck it out till the first pit stop but afterwards just couldn't get the race pace. 

Daniel Ricciardo was having a wonderful race and was fighting Massa on lap 22! Nice to see him getting a good race in.

The race is actually quite interesting but I'm having trouble keeping up with it though as it is late and I'm talking to Fiona about the "good ole days" as well as trying to live post (as live as it is) and sort things out for tomorrow! 

Poor Giedo had a tyre fall off and then they retired him. Poor baby. Have I told you how much I love this driver? I remember maybe his first year in GP2? Maybe the year after but I stood by him, a lot of people thought he wasn't good enough and I knew he just needed a guiding hand, he found Adam Carroll who has helped him become such a brilliant driver and I really wish that those backmarker teams find a little more pace as Giedo and Jules are two talents that deserve a good team that they can actually shine in and even though the kind of do in the Caterham and Marussia respectively it still doesn't allow them to snatch that point, get that wow factor result. The best they can hope for is being above a couple really underperforming mid to back marker teams! 

They really need the cars on the grid, maybe a third driver for all teams would be a good idea after all...

"Now I've been overtaken by a Williams" yes Lewis, Williams are racing cars as well and they will sometimes beat you. In fact one won last year at this very race! You aren't going to get it your own way forever Hamilton.

Kimi overtaking Vettel, I'll have more of that this year boys! 

In the pits Hulkenberg managed to hit a STR in the pit? It was a bit muddled, but he was released way too late.

I think again this is proof of what I've said before about races being that little bit too long, I lost a little bit of interest for about 10 minutes and nothing really happened. The race itself is a good race and quite an interesting one but at the same time there are long periods that the director just shows Fernando and that is about it and that was a bit boring even though I love Fernando and love watching him.

So yes, nothing else really happened and we got to the end of the race with Fernando on the top step, Kimi on the second place step and Felipe rounding the podium off. Good times! 

And baby Felipe was watching daddy come across the line. So cute! Alonso grabs a Spanish flag... Just lovely. Even though I'm watching this hours after his win I'm still in tears, that man is wonderful.

The tyre problem isn't a problem for me, I don't want it all to be just speed all the time because that isn't as fair as it sounds. Jules Bianchi can be as fast as he wants but his car is terrible and he'll never win, having that little bit of strategy shakes up the grid. Being a F1 driver isn't all about being fast you have to be clever too, Alonso isn't the fastest driver he's the smartest driver, Kimi isn't the fastest driver he's the most cunning, Vettel is probably the fastest or Hamilton.

The race was a good one but I think I want to watch the highlights tomorrow if I have time and condense it all because it is just too long with periods where nothing was happening. 66 Laps is about 20 too many! Then the tyres wouldn't matter that much either.

This race track proves a point I might have been trying to make at Bahrain about atmosphere (if I didn't make it it'll only be down to the fact that the race was good) you can hear the crowd even when driving on board with Alonso. They went crazy! There wasn't enough fans to make a noise in Bahrain, even with the F1 cars going you'd get tumbleweed in the stands there. I bet Alonso is happier winning here for the atmosphere then he would have been winning in Bahrain. You need the fans and the fans go to places like Spain. 

But it is just wonderful to see Alonso win, win at home and win dominately! Also Felipe on the podium, something that wouldn't have happened last year! 

So many Ferrari flags and such a good season so far for Ferrari and for my Nacho! So excited for what the season brings.

The Mercedes and McLaren really need to get their race pace in gear, they are too good to be lagging behind so badly. I can't complain that it gives Lotus more breathing room in the race but I want to see all the best drivers up there not a load of drivers struggling but only in the race.

---Just before the podium the Ferrari drivers on the phone talking to Gods know who and Kimi just sitting there like "bitch remember me? Just cause I ain't in your team no more doesn't mean I should be ignored. Last Ferrari world champ right?" or not but I wish he did say that! ----

The driving was really good this race though, some really good overtakes, especially from Fernando at the beginning of the race and also from Massa, those Ferrari's just looked totally wonderful out there. 

It is pretty much 2am and I think I'm babbling so I'll leave it at this quick conclusion.

Great race, brilliant result for me (two fav drivers 1-2 and a driver I adore in 3), great atmosphere and Vettel was nowhere in sight! 

Perfect start to my week. 

Monaco next week (and I'll be home to watch it surprisingly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment