7 October 2012

Fairy Tail

OK so I have been watching Fairy Tail the anime and I thought I'd write about why I love it so much.

If you stumble on this post and don't watch Fairy Tail let me tell you a little about it.

Basically its set in a world were magic exists, there are many different types of wizards and they belong to guilds. By far the most destructive (but in a good way) guild is Fairy Tail. It is home to legendary wizards, and legendary wizards in the making. Saying this though they are all friendly and just one big family, even if they fight amongst themselves a lot. And I mean A LOT!

The main characters are Team Natsu. In this team is Lucy, a celestial wizard, Erza, a wizard that uses the requip ability, Gray, a Ice maker wizard, Happy, a flying cat and Natsu, a Dragon Slayer wizard.

The wizards in the guilds go on jobs posted by people to their guilds to earn their living. Obviously the series focuses around some of the bigger jobs that Team Natsu goes on (with some of the smaller ones too.)

See below for why I love it...


I was drawn to it for nothing more than the name. Every time I went online to watch a different anime I'd see Fairy Tails name and a photo of Natsu and it intrigued me. For a start I love Fairy Tales so I thought if it had anything to do with that it would be worth looking at. It didn't but it was still worth looking at!

I fell in love with it from episode one. As much as I liked Lucy the second I saw Natsu and Happy I was hooked.

But the great thing is even though you'd think Lucy and Natsu would be the center of attention every episode actually the series has a lot of time for everyone in the guild. It drip feeds you the characters too so you don't get overloaded with all these amazing people and lose out on the depth in every character. OK there are background characters but you soon learn that they are only background characters till they have a story.

The first few episodes show Lucy joining the guild, introduces you to the main mechanics of a guild, a glimpse of the mayhem of Fairy Tail, introduces the main bulk of characters, the rest of team Natsu and a quick look into the magic of Lucy and Natsu.

By the first saga (the Lullaby Saga) we have Team Natsu, we have a few of the running gags started up (Gray V Natsu, Scary Erza....) and it starts to get serious. The great thing about the stories though is that as serious as they'll get they still stay light hearted as well. Natsu brings the bulk of the laughs and a lot of the time even though Happy is 90% of the time Natsu's sidekick he'll be the one that brings you back down to earth with a bang.

I couldn't sit here in this blog and order my favorite characters (hence I'll do that in another blog probably tonight maybe tomorrow) but I can tell you my favorite arcs/sagas so far!

I'm up to the 70s, just finishing the filler episodes before the saga after the Dark Guilds saga.

My favorite so far has probably been the Guild War saga, I loved meeting Gajeel and Juvia and it made me constantly cry watching Fairy Tail fight together. This was the first saga that showed you in depth a lot of the powers the wizards of Fairy Tail have.

This is closely followed by the Loki filler saga. Again it was an emotional few episodes were you see the bond of the wizards and how strong they are.

I've really loved the Dark Guild saga (not sure what it really is called) and loved meeting other wizards from other guilds and seeing their bonds. Even the bonds between the dark guild.

I really do love everything about this series, and I don't want to spoil anything in this post so its why its shorter than it could be, but it really is worth watching. Its heart warming and will make you giggle every episodes. The characters are all different and have so much depth, what looks like a one dimensional character in time has the most amazing back stories and development I've ever seen.

As a life long Doctor Who fan I'm used to the bond people can have when they are together for long periods of time but nothing I've watched has ever shown that bond and developed such a large pool of characters so much as Fairy Tail has.

My next blog (possibly, I might put another photo up) will be about the characters.

I hope this helps anyone who stumbles upon it into the world of Fairy Tail. Don't be disheartened that it is an ongoing series with over 100+ episodes. I introduced a friend to it when I was 50 episodes in she's now nearly finished and I've only got to episode 74 and at both rates we are both falling in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment