13 April 2012

Things that I love Part II

So I started off just telling you randomly things that I'm obsessed with so next up I thought I'd tell you about the certain sports stars that I follow.

So in no particular order (well kinda)...

Part 2 : Sports Stars



1 / Nicky Hayden

I actually haven't always been a fan of Nicky's. This fact always confuses people who know me as now that I am a Nicky fan I'm totally obsessed with him!
In fact before the end of '07 I didn't like him much at all.
I was a Pedrosa fan so I kinda didn't like the whole blow up after they came together in '06, funnily I see it a totally different way now I'm a fan of Nicky's.
It was my friends Fiona and Pete who changed my mind, they kinda brain washed me a bit.
I'm a huge believer in his talent now, I know he isn't a big winner and sometimes his best results can be seen as flukes but you don't have to look too close to see his talent.
At times he's the most consistent person on track, maybe not the fastest but the most consistent.
He is also a hard worker and is always motivated to pull 100% out of himself and his bike.
And off track he is the biggest and most positive personality in the paddock!
Why do I love Nicky?

* * *

2 / Giancarlo Fisichella

Fisi is my hero.
One of the saddest moments of my life was when I realised he was retiring from F1.
I have been a Fisichella fan most of my life, and even though he never won the title and only won 3 Grand Prix's it never mattered.
Fisi was always and will always be a champion to me and I hate that he's retired now.
As a fan there was a lot to go through, he never really got the car he deserved and when he did he didn't have the personality to match Fernando Alonso's so became a bit of a doormat. 
I don't really care what anyone says about Fisi because he was a promising talent and a decent F1 driver, it doesn't even make me sad that he never reached the potential heights I knew he could because he still had a long and brilliant F1 career and went out on a high at Ferrari (even if the results weren't stellar!)
I will always miss Fisi, racing hasn't been the same since he left for me.

* * * 

3 / Fernando Alonso

Yes I am a fan of that evil Spanish monster Fernando Alonso.
No I don't believe all the bullshit everyone always stacks up against him.
Fernando is a consistent driver, he is also a development driver. So not only does Fernando rack up points season long, maybe doing it in the shadows a bit more then other drivers, but he also helps perfect the car better then some drivers who need good cars to do anything at all in.
Do I believe that all Fernando's team mates are treated badly? No. If the other driver has it in his contract to be a second driver that is their problem no one else's. If they don't yet they let the team treat them badly my sympathy wanes a lot.
Fernando is a team leader, and his ego will clash with other big egos in the paddock (e.g. Hamilton) but I don't for the life of me think that he's "scared" of a competitive team mate and I think behind the scenes at McLaren in '07 will have a lot to do with how Fernando went from the young fresh face of F1 to the monster everyone must hate within a space of a season.
I understand why Fernando isn't everyone's cup of tea, you have to be a fan and be interested in seeing more of Fernando to pick up on his witty humor and the lovable side.
Like a lot of drivers he has an answer for everything and sometimes his mouth leads him into trouble.
BUT even if he moans a lot about most things he does it in a critical way and not a "why me?" way (hence why I like it when he does it and not when Lewis Hamilton does it).
Yes I am defensive about Alonso but I've had to be down the years!

* * * 

4 / Jenson Button

I don't care what anyone says he will always be a underrated driver.
I've supported him since his debut, he is just a charming guy.
It did take him a long while to get a championship but since winning the championship in '09 Jenson has been refreshed and looked like the potential world champion he once was.
Jenson is a lovely guy to support. So friendly and sweet all the time. He as a decent sense of humor and it takes a lot to upset him.
I have to admit that I was giving up hope when he kept with that horrible, struggling Honda for so many years but when Honda turned into Brawn and the fairytale came true he did the work he needed to pick up a championship. 
Since moving to McLaren he's been a real superstar and approaches everything that happens in a positive and cheerful manner. I hope McLaren keep him and he keeps up the good work.

* * * 

5 / Dani Pedrosa

Sometimes I wonder why I still support him.
I can't remember what made me support him in the first place, maybe that he seemed to be the MotoGP equivalent of Fernando Alonso.
Whatever the reason I do still love little Dani though his MotoGP career seems to have stalled and he's kind of dropped off the top of the grid a bit.
The problem with Dani is he can be magical and then he gets in front of a camera and looks like someone just slapped him.
Then in the race he'll fall off his bike and break something.
Then the week before the next GP he'll break something whilst training.
Then we won't see him again till the last GP which he might do really well at and every sits there thinking if only he didn't break so easily and was a tiny bit bigger and could control the bike better.
And then he looks like the whole world has ended and you just think meh.
The longer he's stayed in MotoGP the harder I've found it to support him just because his attitude seems to be terrible and he doesn't actually seem to do much.
I still want to see him win a championship though, but feel he probably will be replaced by Marquez sooner then that.

* * * 

6 / Jules Bianchi

This is a strange one because I haven't really seen Jules race much yet.
To be honest I support him because he reminds me of Fisichella, and I've followed his progress over the last year and a bit because of that, I can't wait for him to get into F1 but its difficult for me to follow him in GP2 and now WSR.
From what I have seen and from what I've seen of him testing he looks like he has a lot of potential.
But yes my basis for supporting him is that he reminds me of Fisichella.

* * * 

7 / Lucas di Grassi

I have supported Lucas since about '07ish.
He was just something else at times in GP2, it was a shame he never won the championship, but he showed a lot more potential then a lot of the drivers that where coming up into F1.
His only F1 season wasn't really a fair go as he was in the Virgin in their debut season, and its a shame without big sponsors or a big name he doesn't look able to get back into F1.
Lucas is a very talented driver even if he hasn't had the most shining of F1 careers. He is also quite a cool guy and very PR friendly, its a shame he hasn't had more of a chance in F1.
I do believe Lucas can make it back into F1 though.

* * * 

8 / Robert Kubica

I adore Robert and its such a sad shame about his rally accident at the beginning of last year. I really hope that he can recover and come back but it is starting to look slim.
I fell in love with Robert from the second he got a F1 seat and to be fair so did the rest of the F1 world.
He looked like a world champion from day 1 and was so impressive.
When his rally accident happened it came out of the blue for me and shocked me so much.
I hope he comes back.
Robert is quite a quiet personality but he does all his talking on the track.

* * * 

9 / Ben Spies

I didn't like Ben when he first came into MotoGP as a wild card.
I think like Nicky and Colin in MotoGP Ben won my support with his attitude, he is so funny and down to earth its so hard to dislike any of the Americans.
Ben looked really good but since going to Yamaha he might be the top American but he's lacking in any of the magic to elevate him into the top riders, which is a shame because he looked like he just needed a better bike to do it.
I do still think he'll pick it up though.

* * * 

10 / Mark Webber

I do not know how anyone could not support him!
For a start he is funny, intelligent and wears his heart on his sleeve.
Then you have the point that he won't sit down and be treated badly no matter who is giving the orders (Felipe Massa needs to learn from him).
He makes me laugh so badly.
And he's strong and really quite tough! I mean he's broken bones and made himself ill racing but he goes out and fights like nothing else.
He's had a few really good years but sometimes he does tend to leave a lot to the imagination.
Really hope he can find a lot of good form.
I think the one thing with Mark is he is unlucky, I don't care what anyone says even when he's doing well he's plagued with poor luck! 
If he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all.
But he's done alright in his career and its sad that he seems to be fighting for his career just because Red Bull seem to have focused on Vettel and Vettel only.


Yes I know that they are all either in F1 or MotoGP but that probably is my top 10 sports stars.

I used to (and still sometimes dip in and out of) other sports like cricket, snooker, tennis and football but not really enough anymore to have favorites. Motor sport is my life and I love it so much.

Other notable Sports Stars

Colin Edwards (MotoGP)
No one can dislike Colin he's just so fun to support

Randy de Puniet (MotoGP)
Real sweet driver and again so tough maybe a little underrated too

Jean-Eric Vergne (F1)
I don't know what it is about him but since I first saw him in a test really adored him

Simone Corsi (MotoGP)
Possibly to do with him being Italian? Has potential for the future

Thomas Luthi (MotoGP)
Well I only basically just started to support him but he's Dutch! He must be supported!

Alex de Angelis (MotoGP) 
He is just big and sweet I love him and I'm not really that sure why!

Mike di Meglio (MotoGP)
Big fan of his when he was in 125cc but at the moment he's struggling hope he gets better

Bruno Senna (F1)
Even if his fan girl fans ruined my support for him I still have a soft spot for him

Mirko Vucinic (Football)
Yes a non-Motor Sport star, love the little hairy man so sad he left Roma though best footballer EVER!

Janko Tipseravic (Tennis)
He is just kick ass! End of


They are probably the most important ones, to be fair I'll support a big proportion of MotoGP and F1 grids, over the last couple years it would probably be easier to name the things I disliked.

No comments:

Post a Comment