1 August 2013

Actors that I love : Karl Urban

Well I'll now delight you with the tale of my utmost favorite actor to ever grace anything. A wonderful actor who is so underrated it hurts to think people don't know who he is!

I'm not biased, really I struggle to believe people don't love some of the films he's in!

So let me tell you why I love Karl Urban...



And I'm only using that line because Amanda loves it so!

I first saw Karl Urban in Lord of the Rings. That is right people he was Eomer in Lord of the Rings. He was by far one of my favorite characters in the film, to be honest I'd read the books first and he wasn't a character I liked in the books but he is a character I like in the film.

Man was he awesome?!

I probably saw him in Xena next but never clicked till I was older, in Xena he played both Caesar and Eros (cupid!) and I will never get over watching him run around in basically a diaper!

I couldn't tell you what came next or even how he became my favorite but I'll tell you some of the movies he's been in.

He was in the movie adaptation of the game Doom, now anyone that knows me knows that I love video games and like most people Doom was one of my first! Ohhh how easy it is to love Doom. Now the film was not what I was expecting, then again I didn't know what to expect, I think the film did a good job of making its own story whilst adding (right at the end) the Doom tribute we all waited for. OK the film was never going to set the world on fire, I think it tried to do what Resident Evil did but failed, it isn't worth some of the hate it gets though.

Urban played the main character and did a good job alongside Dwayne Johnson, who at the time as we know was riding the wave of popularity.

Another great movie that doesn't get the love it deserves is Pathfinder. How I love that movie! Once again he is the main character (Ghost) and the film depicts what could have happened if the Vikings went to America and encountered Native Americans. Ghost is a son of a Viking who gets left behind and raised by the Native American's and when the Vikings come back he fights for his family and for the Pathfinder of his village.

I really don't understand the hate this gets, again it isn't a classic I'll give you that but I don't know why the heck its so unpopular. It makes me cry every time I see it! To be honest there isn't much dialogue and if you want action and something happening every few seconds it isn't the film for you but it is beautiful and just a wonderful epic!

Of course most people will know him from the rebooted Star Trek series where he plays Bones and is one of a handful of characters that save those films from being terrible. Yeah people know I have a big problem with a lot of Star Trek to be honest but never mind!

He was also Vaako in Riddick. Yeah see he's been in some slightly brilliant films as well!

Recently he starred as Dredd in Judge Dredd a film I think failed because the lack of attention to 2D. The 2D version sucks on DVD (thankfully I have a 3D TV) and to be quite honest it could have done with going in the cinema's in 2D. I know a lot of people who didn't bother to see it because it was in 3D and 3D alone in Plymouth.

Again I like the film I think it was one of the best films of the year and watch it regularly on the 3D TV. Urban had a strong cast around him and it doesn't deserve half the grief it gets!

One of my personal favorites though is Priest. I didn't even know about Priest till my mum brought it because it had Paul Bettany in it. We then sat down to watch it and freaked out when cowboy vampire Karl Urban showed up!

Then there was Red.

Moving on.
I love that movie and he is so sexy in it I just can't... Specially as I love Bruce Willis as well. You can tell it is one of my favorite films can't you?

Most of those films are pretty decent and none of them are terrible but he never gets the recognition he deserves in my opinion. I love Urban and what he brings to each and every role. Not only that but he is a Geek, or at least a honorary Geek.

I mean if I met him I'd probably die, he is pretty wonderful.

The main reason I love him? I've never seen a film that I dislike him in.

No really. I haven't.

Every film he's been in I've liked for its own reasons. Urban usually shines (that might be slight bias) and even if I don't find the film remotely interesting (only Star Trek really) he just brings life to it and I love him for it.

You really should give his work a try, he's a great actor and I've never really seen a review that blamed him for the short comings of that given film.

He is my number one actor of all time!

No comments:

Post a Comment