14 June 2013

Between Shadows By Anna Dunne

Written in 2010 (clue is in the piece) this is a little like my Alonso one but this time from Nico Rosbergs point of view. Remember the return of Schumacher and how the Mercedes was terrible except for you know the fact that Nico was doing alright? Yeah this is from then.

Enjoy!



Sometimes I really wish I could scream and be heard.

Right now I could shout till my lungs explode and no one would hear.

I’m the shadow man, the one that gets the job done but never gets the praise.

I feel like I could win every championship from now until I die and I still would be ignored. Still totally in the shadows.

Right now I don’t know which is worse. I sit in a team ran by a legend, driving next the THE legend of our sport. His failure is more important then my success. And if that wasn’t bad, if my achievements are always overshadowed by the constant misery of a returned hero, my name, my family is just as over shadowing.

I’m a second generation superstar, my father was a world champion and people like to remind me that every time they approach me. If it wasn’t bad enough that I was walking in his shadow the year I break out from my restraints, go to be the superstar I knew I could be, I end up in the even larger shadow of a team mate that no one deserves to have.

My name is Nico Rosberg.

2010 is my year to shine.

But how many people have seen it?

I could go out and win in Abu Dhabi, the last race of the season, and people would still rather talk about the failure of Michael Schumachers return. Its all about the car.

So how come I’ve been alright? I’ve been on the podium? I’ve scored points? I’ve made it into the top 10?

I don’t want attention for the sake of attention, but because of Michaels diminished form the team stopped caring about this year. Everything has to be shifted to what Michael wants, to what he perceives the best way forward.

I’ll admit that maybe I didn’t blossom as I should have at Williams, I became just another driver to make up the numbers. Here and there making a mark on the world but never setting the whole world on fire like Robert. He’s the guy I need to beat. The other one that had to outshine his car, his team. A future champion, a future contender, right now making his name in the midfield. I have to beat him.

I’ve had 2 podiums, and I’ve only not scored in races a handful of times. Only 3 races I haven’t made it into the top 10 of qualifying, I’ve battled hard in the midfield. And I go home at night to hear the struggles of Schumacher. The pain of Mercedes.

I’m sure at times I’m in a different universe then these people.

They don’t listen to me, my opinion doesn’t count because I’m not a 7 times World Champion. I’m not a little superstar. I’m just Nico. Reliable Nico. I’ll get them the points they need whilst they drum up sympathy for my team mate. They’ll get the headlines with him and the money from me.

Its silly. I’m so far ahead of him in points its laughable they still persist with the excuses. I should just say it. But that would be counter productive I know. The car! That damned car! The car that doesn’t go fast for Schumacher even when its designed for him but gives vital points and podiums to that person we employ to drive next to Schumacher.

Then people use me as a joke! Schumacher should retire because he’s being beaten by Rosberg. What, so its so impossible to believe I could beat him? Its so impossible to believe that I have the talent to do so? I know he’s the standard we live up to today, and he’s returning from years in the wilderness. But why the surprise? Why does it have to be bad form for Schumacher and not just brilliant driving from Nico?

Robert has it easy. His team mate is a rookie, Vitaly can crash until the sun sets and Robert will still be a hero. All he has to do is finish and he’s outshone everything.

I outshine a 7 times world champion and am made to feel I don’t deserve it.

I feel over looked, unloved, not cared for. People don’t ask me for my opinion, I’m just Schumis team mate. How can fans love me if you don’t introduce me to them? If all you ever ask me is why my team mate isn’t beating me how can people see me for who I am?

I live between shadows.

The shadows of champions…

The shadows of superstars…

The shadows of the charismatic few who are stealing all the headlines…

I live between shadows, in darkness.

Always shining…

But always forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment