25 April 2013

Feeling redundant at work...

Well today I met our new assistant manager, I also had a long conversation with Neil about him getting the new warehouse job.

Thinking it over whilst at my partners presentation evening (where there were a lot of people going on about their jobs etc) and I feel like I'm about to be made totally redundant at work. Not actually redundant as I don't think they could find a real reason to get rid of me, but with another warehouse man and basically three managers of varying levels as well as a warehouse supervisor I don't know where I fit in!

And the newest members of staff will technically both be higher up than me! Even though one of them won't do any of the work out on the shop floor.

I'm happy I don't have to do some of the things the warehouse staff will have to do when they employee him, but I'm also just miffed that they don't even think they need an extra day on the shop floor. 7 extra hours would do me the world of good but I won't even get 1 hour extra.

And with two full time members of staff joining there will be little point me every having overtime. Who the hell would I be replacing?

The annoying thing is my responsibilities have gone up! At the moment I'm a key holder, I can do refunds and cash up and I've always banked. I just feel like there is no real point to me other than the fact they hired me I passed my probation and now they can't get rid of me.

I know no one in the shop feels that way but then they don't have to worry about it. The manger is full time, the assistant manager will be too as well as the warehouse man and the new warehouse man. My supervisor only ever wants to do her 20 hours with maybe an extra 7 here or there so I'm the only one struggling. I've tried to get another part time job but I can't work in bars because of my hearing and I don't want to work in a kitchen for various reasons. All the other shop jobs want people committed to Saturdays/Sundays (I work Sundays where I am) or else want you at work by 6am and I have no transport until after 7!

It might be more to do with turning 24 in a couple weeks. Sitting in a university listening to all these people talk about their jobs and what this qualification would mean to them just made me realize that I've wasted my life to this point and the horrible thing is 24 is a bit too old to change anything. All the NVQ's and apprenticeships are really for younger people I only have a year to find a placement before I don't get funding at all.

I have to make something happen this year else I'm just going to get stuck in this rut!

No comments:

Post a Comment