22 February 2013

Fairy Tail Top 5s : Characters (Fairy Tail)

So I thought seeing Fairy Tail seems to be my favorite topic to write about and my viewers favorite thing to read about I'd do a top 5 of certain things within Fairy Tail.

Today my top 5 Members of Fairy Tail.

(Before you read : THIS is my top 9 fav characters back at episode 70!)


***DISCLAIMER : I love each and every character in Fairy Tail, there is only one character I can truly say I dislike/hate and that is Minerva. Plus choosing just 5 characters is REALLY hard!***


Fairy Tail Member #5
Gray Fullbuster

Now this might surprise people as he was my top favorite for most of the series. I haven't fallen out of love with Gray I just find that he hasn't had much to do as a character for a while. Most of his story is now about how he helps Natsu and is lusted over by Juvia. There isn't anything wrong with that but it has also made me a bit bored of him. To be in my top 5 proves he's still pretty much my favorite, if he had anything interesting to do he wouldn't be number 5!

I also will hate it if he just dates Juvia. After all her chasing and him being as cold as ice to her I want him to EARN that relationship! He either has to do something to prove he belongs with Juvia or else turn her down and let her go on her way with Lyon.

My favorite Gray moments are always with Natsu.

Fairy Tail Member #4
Jet

To be short on the matter... I don't know why!

There is something about Jet and Droy that makes me all gooey inside, and their mini-bios about the 7 years they were apart from Levy made me want to cry! I don't know why I like Jet more so then Droy but it probably has something to do with the hat!

Fairy Tail Member #3
Freed Justine

At first I wasn't too sure on any of Laxus's croonies, but after going forward in the manga and anime and seeing how sweet they are and going back to the Fighting Festival arc I fell in love with Freed. He is such a sweet character and his loyalty to Laxus is only matched by Jet and Droys loyalty to Levy. 

To be fair I think Freed is better without Laxus, he is a natural leader and his honor is a really important part of him (like giving up his chance of being S-Class to say sorry to Cana for what he did to her.) Not that you don't see his honor when he is with Laxus, he did try and stick up for what he believed to be right in the Fighting Festival arc, he just isn't strong enough to enforce his view when it comes to the lightning gaze of his hero.

Freed really needs to be an important part of a story. If they ever did anything that led to a bigger "in detail" look at Laxus and his past then I'd love for his Thunder Tribe to all get a bit of background out of the arc too. I'd love to see why Freed hero worships Laxus.

Fairy Tail Member #2
Gajeel Redfox

No surprises right?

I adore Gajeel for a number of reasons. First off he's the cool guy that when he tries to be cool is actually really sad and uncool! He has his softer side, you see it a lot with Lily, but most of the time he's reliable. He has came a long way since first joining the guild and probably would put his life even more at risk then others to prove he wants to be part of the guild. Thankfully he is slowly joining the guild more and more.

My favorite Gajeel story so far is probably Edolas. It let him be himself without being the bad guy or being separate from the rest of the guild. It was the first time you saw how much he loved the guild because he fought so hard to save them. It also showed how even though he wants to be the "lone wolf" of the guild he also wants to fit in to a point (if the other Dragon Slayers have a cat I want a cat.)

I love his relationship with Levy, the difference between Levy/Gajeel and Gray/Juvia is that Levy hasn't been needy, Gajeel beat her and her best friends up and nailed them to a tree as a warning to Fairy Tail but he's slowly made it up to her and the guild. She cares about Gajeel and to be honest I think Gajeel is fascinated with Levy, he's never shown NO interest in her, he's shown MORE interest in her then most other people. Gray on the other hand is very cold to Juvia whereas you see him being a lot warmer to everyone else which leaves me with the feeling that any relationship down the line will be forced and maybe even written just because fans loved the idea of them together after the comedy of the crush!

Fairy Tail Member #1
Laxus Dreyer

So not surprised in the least probably?

Why do I love Laxus?

Well I didn't at the beginning, I hated what he wore, I hated the fact he was a big mouth. There wasn't enough about him to care and then he went and was a total bitch to the rest of his family. And it should have been more of a family to him then some of the others as his grandfather was the master. I didn't hate him, I quite liked the character (you have to have one bastard right?)

Then the end of the Fighting Festival changed my mind.

What had happened to Laxus? Well we know a little of the story, he was a lost soul really, not understanding, hiding his anger, thinking he needed to be stronger because that's what his father told him... It is actually a very normal story for a character. His father thought he was weak, when his dad left he showed no interest in Laxus therefore Laxus thought he had to be stronger and he grew colder because he had a chip on his shoulder.

I think what really made me love Laxus is the change the character had. After being thrown out of Fairy Tail and thinking his life around he fought for them. But he didn't beg to come back, he didn't suddenly become ultra good guy, he kept his too cool for school attitude, got let back in without asking for it and has joined the guild if anything stronger then he was to begin with.

Laxus might be hard headed, cold and not the most interesting of characters to read about but he could become the pillar of the guild. Yes Guildarts is a great guy but he really is a lone wolf and would make a terrible Master (as he knew!) Laxus on the other hand has realized the folly of his youth and is growing into a stronger leader day by day.

After all he is Makarovs grandson!

Greatness must skip a generation.

**********

There you have it! My top 5 members of Fairy Tail. To be honest other then randomly getting obsessed with certain characters at certain times I have to say I love most of Fairy Tail the same amount as all the rest. The depth of story, the raw emotion they can evoke, the brilliant roundness of the whole guild is a wonderful thing to read about. The characters feel so real because their stories are based in a reality people can relate too. Natsu lost his father, Lucy had a father who thought of her as a possession, Erza was abused, Wendy was adopted, Happy didn't know who or what he really was, all Laxus wanted was to get attention from his father, the downfall of Freed is he hero worships someone, Gajeel made a shell around him to stop himself getting hurt, Juvia never had any friends so tries too hard to be liked.... Yeah you have the magical, mystical side of the stories, but when you strip them down its real life problems (with added drama) that hits home so well. But like anything of its kind its the fact they band together as a family that really gets to you. When you have a problem you'll look at Fairy Tail and wish that you had a guild to call home!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how not surprising is that =P

    You need to retitle it fav male members then add another one for female! Did none of the girls really make your top 5?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could do....

    Yes really. None of them did! The closest would probably be Wendy or Cana. I love Erza but at the moment feel more tired of her repeated storyline then I do of Gray not doing anything!

    Cana is funny, and I loved her stuff with Guildarts. Wendy is sweet and I just like her in general. But to be fair both are below Guildarts as well!

    Levy is close to them.... I guess my top 5 females would be ....


    Mira : Actually thinking about it Mira probably is closest to my top 5 in general. I love how she was a total bitch and has this dead awesome ability but after her heart was broken (thinking Lisanna had died) she became such a soft and gentle person. She can still be kick ass when needed and as I said her ability and the forms she changes into are freakin' awesome! But she's so gentle as well.

    Cana : Because she's proven to be more then just comedy relief. Her relationship with Guildarts is so sweet, and I believe there is STILL more to her then the drinking. Also her relationship with all the members is sweet and I love her in the Grand Magic Games.

    Wendy : What a cute little character! Everything about her is adorable. I really do hope she finds the strength to fight when she needs it! But it is nice to have a healer who also will fight for what they believe.

    Erza : Because to be fair she is still a total monster! I think they need to do a bit more Erza the monster bits though because she is starting to become samey. Yeah she's warmed up because of the tower of heaven blah, blah... But still...

    Levy : Her relationship with Gajeel is adorable, nearly as cute as her and Jet and Droy! I love how she really wants to understand Gajeel.


    Of course I also love Mavis but she doesn't count as she's a ghost!

    ReplyDelete